Did You Know?
- TV started in the UK in 1936 with the 405 line system being adopted.
- Suspended at the start of WWII.
- Restarted in 1946.
- ITA(ITV) independant channel launched in 1955.
- 625 line service started in 1964 (BBC2) giving the UK three channels
- UK “Full” Colour TV service started on Dec 2nd 1967, not July 67 for Wimbledon, which was a one-off.
- Ceefax (teletext) service launched on BBC1 & BBC2 in 1974.
- Channel 4 Lauched in 1982.
- 405 Line service closes in 1985.
- Channel 5, the last ever analogue channel launched in 1997.
- 625 analogue service closed 2012.
A Span of 50 years for the 405 system and 45 years for the 625 system, but still alive in the hearts & minds. Also thanks to the Aurora 405 is a reality once again for us restorers.
Bringing the end to all analogue TV services in the UK and a piece of our history to a close