British Relay Television

Another long gone service, in 1968 there were over 1 million subscribers.

British Relay Television 1

If you have any memories or thoughts to share feel free to comment below.

5 1 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest

32 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
John Harvey
John Harvey
3 years ago

I live in Leeds. We had British Relay until the late seventies I think. When the Emley Moor transmitter fell down, we were the only house in the street that still had any TV. I think Relay had a tie in with Visionhire as we always rented our TV there.

Robert Cox
Robert Cox
3 years ago

I was a showroom. Manager in eltham London up to 1972. What a great company to work for

David Hughes
David Hughes
3 years ago

Does anyone know if there was ever a model car made of there vehicles? Apparently the blue was patented and called, ‘British Relay Blue’? Please contact me at davehughesmp@gmail.com

Michael J Moore
Michael J Moore
2 years ago

Started working at Trafalgar Radio & TV Greenwich London in 1963 then taken over by British Relay then Visionhire then Granada TV untill I left in 1998 So many happy times. Michael J Mooore

RichardFromMarple
Member
2 years ago

This is a good write up of the British Relay service in Whitehaven, along with some other observations about the TV rental trade in the town.

David
David
2 years ago

I’m curious about the backroom aspects of British Relay. Was it coax they deployed to feed houses? What was the length limit?

Gordon Elder
Gordon Elder
Reply to  David
7 months ago

I worked as an apprentice for British Relay Electronics who made the transmission systems, behind certain British Relay showrooms there would be a sub station for the local area, these consisted of choke and transmission bays using valves of 1kw capacity, they sent the the signal on multi core and at each house they had a splitter box, the circuit board was known as a biscuit.in London where i was based they leased roof tops off the council and housing assoc for sole use preventing many a rooftop aerial

Mark Stephen
Mark Stephen
Reply to  Gordon Elder
6 months ago

I used to push the wires of a loudspeaker into various outputs on the multisocket and pick up lots of radio and TV sound

Eve
Eve
2 years ago

My late father, Ray Wood, was a British Relay area manager based in Hanwell from the mid-to-late 70s. He chose redundancy when the Visionhire takeover happened and opened his own business in Scotland. Dad regularly organised social and promotional events as part of his job, including a staff trip to Le Touquet as I recall. I have three T-shirts still in their packets which say ‘British Relay – to try me is to love me’ in red, white and blue. Would anyone like them?!

Garry Kemp
Garry Kemp
Reply to  Eve
10 months ago

I remember ray .I came to Trumpers way from the eastcote shop.i worked with dick Hampshire.raj Patel and chas khatra.i also remember a few others

Graeme Powel
Graeme Powel
1 year ago

I started work at British Relay as an apprentice electronics engineer in 1976, at the Harehills office, Leeds.
I looked after the servicing of TVs, radio and PA in hotels, hospitals and factories, really loved that job. I was fortunate enough to be kept on with Visionhire Electronics and stayed on until 1988. Great times!

Bob Gelder
Bob Gelder
3 months ago

I joined BRW in 1958 and worked at Station 14 in Shepherds Bush, I was very happy there we had plenty of overtime, the wire men were a great bunch of lads, there was always one stayed back late at night to look after the equipment in the seller. I remember the customers telling that the air rade alert would come over the radio speakers before the main one sounded so they got down to the shelters first. I stayed at the same job for 33 years and took redundancy from Granada in 1992.

Carole Black
Carole Black
2 months ago

Hi I worked For British Relay from 1977 in Northfield Birmingham as a receptionist. .
Eventually taken over by Viaionhire in March 1979 .
After a number of years taken over by Granada and Becoming manager at Northfield Bham ,I eventually transferred to Cornwall.
I transferred as in with Granada to a Box Clever shop and completed 27years service .
feeling quiet proud I had seen tv through the times .

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x