British Relay Television

Another long gone service, in 1968 there were over 1 million subscribers.

British Relay Television 1

If you have any memories or thoughts to share feel free to comment below.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest

25 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
John Harvey
John Harvey
Guest
1 year ago

I live in Leeds. We had British Relay until the late seventies I think. When the Emley Moor transmitter fell down, we were the only house in the street that still had any TV. I think Relay had a tie in with Visionhire as we always rented our TV there.

Robert Cox
Robert Cox
Guest
1 year ago

I was a showroom. Manager in eltham London up to 1972. What a great company to work for

David Hughes
David Hughes
Guest
1 year ago

Does anyone know if there was ever a model car made of there vehicles? Apparently the blue was patented and called, ‘British Relay Blue’? Please contact me at davehughesmp@gmail.com

Michael J Moore
Michael J Moore
Guest
8 months ago

Started working at Trafalgar Radio & TV Greenwich London in 1963 then taken over by British Relay then Visionhire then Granada TV untill I left in 1998 So many happy times. Michael J Mooore

RichardFromMarple
Member
8 months ago

This is a good write up of the British Relay service in Whitehaven, along with some other observations about the TV rental trade in the town.

David
David
Guest
3 months ago

I’m curious about the backroom aspects of British Relay. Was it coax they deployed to feed houses? What was the length limit?

Eve
Eve
Guest
28 days ago

My late father, Ray Wood, was a British Relay area manager based in Hanwell from the mid-to-late 70s. He chose redundancy when the Visionhire takeover happened and opened his own business in Scotland. Dad regularly organised social and promotional events as part of his job, including a staff trip to Le Touquet as I recall. I have three T-shirts still in their packets which say ‘British Relay – to try me is to love me’ in red, white and blue. Would anyone like them?!

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x