1973 Sony TC-131SD: Cassette Deck

4 Posts
4 Users
12 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

For a while I've been gathering vintage 70's audio kit in an attempt to build myself a little system. Nothing spectacular or high end just the average kit Mr Jones or Mr Smith might have had back in the day. To that end I managed to get myself a rather nice Goodmans MaxAmp and tuner, which I worked on last year and can be seen here.

Since then I've been on the look out for a nice period cassette deck and record deck. I'm still trying to track down a suitable record deck but in the meantime I managed to pick up this rather nice 1973 Sony TC-131SD. Its physically intact, in good condition albeit very grubby but of course not working, it does power up ok though.

In between working on my Philips N1500 and N1700's and CTV's, I shall be tackling this Sony as a diversion for a change of scene. It will also feature in an upcoming video, but not before the VCR's are finished. Just thought I would give you all a sneak peak.

The service manual is in the data library for those that may be interested in its design, features and circuit.

Eventually my plan is to return my spare lounge from a TV/VCR store come display room, into a period 1970's lounge. To that end I've been collecting all manner of furniture like the Rocket lamp and Egg pod chair Austin powers would feel at home in, complete with orange and brown cushions, just need to get the shag pile carpet. Of course it will be kitted out with one or two of my period TV's VCR's and audio items.

tc131sd
tc131sd 1

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 16/02/2019 8:37 pm
Marconi_MPT4, Red_to_Black, PYE625 and 6 people reacted
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered

Nice cassette deck! I’ve got a few cassette decks myself, and quite often make good use of them too. I borrowed a proper test tape for my Technics when I replaced the head in it, and then used it to make my own test tape! 

A good cassette deck set up properly sounds great, and the little bit of tape hiss never bothers me.

on the subject of your 70’s room, don’t suppose you want, or have room for a massive 70’s side board / room divider thing?! There’s one at my Nan’s house that needs a new home!

Regards 

Lloyd 

Posted : 17/02/2019 12:48 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Blank cassettes available at the local pound store, no idea of their quality but good for testing, save tangling good TDK cassettes if there are mechanical faults with the deck.

Frank

Posted : 17/02/2019 8:05 am
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)
Reputable Member Registered

Hi Chris,

Sony cassette decks of this era have longevity on their side and I see it has the infamous Sony F&F ferrite head. These are so hard wearing its doubtful if  you will find any appreciable wear on it. Even their rubber items seem to last but depends on how they have been treated though. Only the other day I powered up the TC-135 (c.1975) to play back some old tapes, then one thing led to another and ended up checking the speed, only to find it still absolutely spot on after all this time when using the Leader LFM-3610 speed / wow and flutter meter.

One weakness of these and almost any 1970's cassette deck is the multi-gang record/playback slider switch, where one or the other VU meter will often be bouncing off the end-stop in playback mode accompanied by loud motor boating sound from respective speaker. Most times switch cleaner will fix this problem as the contacts are silver plated and tarnish with age.

Look forward to seeing the restoration.

Rich

Posted : 07/04/2019 2:03 pm
Share: