Question HMV 2208; Replacement/Equivalent Cap

20 Posts
4 Users
9 Likes
Spike47
(@spike47)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

Can anyone recomend a replacement/equivalent Cap for a "Hunts" 0.003uF 300Vac Capacitor .
It is from a HMV 2208  Reel to Reel Tape Recorder "Hunts" (the manufacturer) 0.003uF 300Vac capacitor connected across the audio output transformer's primary winding

Cheers

Spike

Posted : 27/04/2021 4:36 pm
Spike47
(@spike47)
Active Member Registered
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Search the Internet for 3300pF/3.3nF at 1000V DC polypropylene film capacitor.

Posted : 27/04/2021 6:37 pm
Spike47, Spike47 and Spike47 reacted
Spike47
(@spike47)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

@cathovisor

Thank you

Spike

Posted : 27/04/2021 7:07 pm
Spike47
(@spike47)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

Posted by: @cathovisor

Search the Internet for 3300pF/3.3nF at 1000V DC polypropylene film capacitor.

Hi

Can only find 630v type Cap .

cheers

Spike

Posted : 27/04/2021 7:19 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Posted by: @spike47

Can anyone recomend a replacement/equivalent Cap for a "Hunts" 0.003uF 300Vac Capacitor .

When replacing caps, follow these basics.

Capacitance; replace with like for like or the modern equiv value e.g .05uF(old) .047uF(new)

Voltage general rule of thumb; same voltage or higher is OK, but never lower.

When VAC is stated, multiply this by 3 for VDC. This is why Catho stated 1000VDC. 300VAC x 3 =900VDC which you will not find, so 1kV (1000VDC) is what you need. Keep looking and try the big outlets RS & Farnel etc.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 28/04/2021 6:51 am
Spike47, Spike47 and Spike47 reacted
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered
Spike47
(@spike47)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

Posted by: @nuvistor

https://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/C2K3N3.html

or parallel these.

https://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/CAT1N0.html

https://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/2200pF-1500V-Polypropylene-Axial-Capacitor.html

I would probably use the first item.

Hi

Paralleling them both you mentioned would be the cheapest method, would I be good to go on that ?

spike

Posted : 28/04/2021 9:34 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I would use this,

It will be cheaper, smaller and easier to fit. I mentioned the others in case you didn’t want to use ceramic.

The type above will do the job for less than £1. At first glance it’s a tone correction capacitor so not too stringent a job apart from requiring a high working voltage.

Frank

Posted : 29/04/2021 6:36 am
Spike47
(@spike47)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

I would use this,

It will be cheaper, smaller and easier to fit. I mentioned the others in case you didn’t want to use ceramic.

The type above will do the job for less than £1. At first glance it’s a tone correction capacitor so not too stringent a job apart from requiring a high working voltage.

Hi

Thanks for your reply, yeh not sure about the ceramic one, dosen't look like it will hold much capacitance, if that is the correct phrase to use !.

Cheers

Spike

Posted : 29/04/2021 7:29 am
Spike47
(@spike47)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

@crustytv

Thank you for that info.

Cheers

Spike

Posted : 29/04/2021 7:32 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The capacitor is there to bypass higher audio frequencies, as the audio frequency increases the capacitive reactance will reduce,. Eg at 1000hz it’s reactance is around 48k ohms, at 10000hz it’s around 5k ohms. This will reduce the higher audio frequencies being passed through to the speaker and make the sound more mellow. Some manufacturers would put a variable resistor in series with the capacitor and have an adjustable “ Tone control” on this recorder it is fixed.

The requirement for a high voltage capacitor is the possibility of high voltage spikes on the audio transients.

Any comments and corrections appreciated, it’s a long time since I did this sort of thing.

Frank

Posted : 29/04/2021 8:14 am
Spike47
(@spike47)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

The capacitor is there to bypass higher audio frequencies, as the audio frequency increases the capacitive reactance will reduce,. Eg at 1000hz it’s reactance is around 48k ohms, at 10000hz it’s around 5k ohms. This will reduce the higher audio frequencies being passed through to the speaker and make the sound more mellow. Some manufacturers would put a variable resistor in series with the capacitor and have an adjustable “ Tone control” on this recorder it is fixed.

The requirement for a high voltage capacitor is the possibility of high voltage spikes on the audio transients.

Any comments and corrections appreciated, it’s a long time since I did this sort of thing.

Hi

Thanks for that info, the Cap question came originaly because the Tape has a very low vollume and someone suggested this Cap ! .

Cheers

Spike

Posted : 29/04/2021 8:26 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Well if the capacitor had a high leakage it could reduce the volume but I suggest some standard fault finding. Disconnect one end and test it, the recorder will work without it but have more treble. You will probably find it’s other faults that are causing the low volume, presume the tape heads are clean and not badly worn.

What test equipment have you?

Frank

Posted : 29/04/2021 8:40 am
Spike47
(@spike47)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

Well if the capacitor had a high leakage it could reduce the volume but I suggest some standard fault finding. Disconnect one end and test it, the recorder will work without it but have more treble. You will probably find it’s other faults that are causing the low volume, presume the tape heads are clean and not badly worn.

What test equipment have you?

Hi

Thanks for your reply, just a Digi Multimeter I am afraid !.

Cheers

ps: Yes I think I will remove that Cap to see if that makes any difference, could be a resistor now with its age !. 

Spike

Posted : 29/04/2021 9:11 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@spike47

No point guessing, you could change many items and not find the fault. 

Are you capable of safely taking voltage readings? If you are then that is one way to start, there are other ways but that would be a guide.

Do you know how the tape recorder works, what each stage does? A basic understanding helps to fault find.

Frank

Posted : 29/04/2021 9:44 am
Spike47
(@spike47)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

@spike47

No point guessing, you could change many items and not find the fault. 

Are you capable of safely taking voltage readings? If you are then that is one way to start, there are other ways but that would be a guide.

Do you know how the tape recorder works, what each stage does? A basic understanding helps to fault find.

Hi Frank

Thanks for your reply I wasn’t guessing a member on here suggested that , I was an Electrician in my earlier life 😊

Posted : 29/04/2021 10:00 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@spike47
it was the comment about it could be a resistor that gave me cause for concern.

No harm in trying the capacitor but if you that doesn’t fix the fault then a standard fault finding technique would hopefully find the problem.

Frank

Posted : 29/04/2021 10:03 am
Spike47
(@spike47)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

@spike47
it was the comment about it could be a resistor that gave me cause for concern.

No harm in trying the capacitor but if you that doesn’t fix the fault then a standard fault finding technique would hopefully find the problem.

Hi Frank 

Thanks again for your reply, that bit about a resistor was also from a member in this post, will print out schematic and do some testing .

thank you again for sharing your time and knowledge .

Cheers

Spike

Posted : 29/04/2021 10:08 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@spike47
The manual has a good circuit description if you understand the basics. Voltage readings and signal injection should easily find a fault in the playback amplifier if that’s where the fault resides.

Frank

Posted : 29/04/2021 10:11 am
Share: