Fidelity HF1 record player

39 Posts
8 Users
27 Likes
FIXITNOW2003
(@fixitnow2003)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter

@marconi_mpt4 a quick look through my valve database shows 7 off 6x4's they will all be pulls untested but hopefully these a good one

Posted : 10/03/2020 2:12 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @fixitnow2003

Cartridge is yellow bodied no markings but fitted with a ST12 stylus

Again, a picture would be appreciated but it sounds like a BSR X3H - my little Fidelity HF31 (my first record player) used one. I'd have expected an ST8 stylus in that though?

Posted : 10/03/2020 2:39 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

Danette had a posh version with a transformer.. Forum 142

Posted : 10/03/2020 4:52 pm
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)
Reputable Member Registered

@fixitnow2003

I am a bit puzzled as looking at the pictures I cannot see any surge limiting resistor between mains input from the switch terminal to both anodes which look as if they are wired in parallel. Is there one hidden away? EZ90 / 6X4 data suggests a minimum of 470Ω.

Rich

Posted : 10/03/2020 5:59 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Probably relying on the lower HT and transformer windings, my Mullard book states 520 Ohm per anode. They probably were hoping it lasts the 3 months guarantee that valves had then, it could be passed onto the customer as their problem.

Edit. Thinking again about it, the valve maker would be responsible for replacement so they must have been happy with the circuit, perhaps? 

Frank

Posted : 10/03/2020 7:34 pm
FIXITNOW2003
(@fixitnow2003)
Topic starter

Posted by: @marconi_mpt4

@fixitnow2003

I am a bit puzzled as looking at the pictures I cannot see any surge limiting resistor between mains input from the switch terminal to both anodes which look as if they are wired in parallel. Is there one hidden away? EZ90 / 6X4 data suggests a minimum of 470Ω.

Rich

there is no surge resistor so will add one what sort off wattage ?

Posted : 11/03/2020 7:20 am
FIXITNOW2003
(@fixitnow2003)
Topic starter

Posted by: @cathovisor

Cartridge is yellow bodied no markings but fitted with a ST12 stylus

Again, a picture would be appreciated but it sounds like a BSR X3H - my little Fidelity HF31 (my first record player) used one. I'd have expected an ST8 stylus in that though?

a little out off focus

DCP 1675
DCP 1676

Mod Note: See mod advice on following post below

Posted : 11/03/2020 7:22 am
FIXITNOW2003
(@fixitnow2003)
Topic starter

more pics and some more info

no surge resistor on the 6x4 so will add one

the mains transformer is only for the valve heaters and only one primary voltage as no tapping's

the 1/2 meg vol/power switch does not switch on .As this is a live chassis I will change both pot (vol plus tone)

DCP 1681
DCP 1684
DCP 1678
DCP 1683
DCP 1680
DCP 1687
DCP 1677

to newer versions with plastic shafts and make sure neutral is to chassis

there is one waxie and 1 red/yellow elec cap so will replace both Main dual can elec is very leaky so will need restuffing/replacing.

Mod Note: Blurred unfocused images such as photo 1 of this thread and the two photos in the previous post (you acknowledge this yourself) serve minimal use in helping to illustrate any clarity to members. However, they do take up vital server space, unnecessarily.

Mod Advice:Please try to use the macro feature on your camera, this will assist in close-up focussing or wait until the camera has focussed before hitting 'snap'. Unlike cameras of old,  with digital you know instantly if a photo is out of focus, so keep trying to get a good one. Please avoid uploading anything which is blurred, your assistance in this matter will greatly help the forum and its storage, which currently stands at many 10's of Gigabytes (last count almost 100GB). Everyone can do their bit to help, hope this advice is taken in the spirit it was intended, that of friendly advice. ? 

Posted : 11/03/2020 7:27 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

It's a bit out of focus, but that cartridge definitely looks like a BSR X3H. 

Posted : 11/03/2020 9:41 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

OK I should know but is the X3H cartridge crystal or ceramic?

Frank

Posted : 11/03/2020 2:04 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

X = crystal 

(C = ceramic) 

H = high output.

(S = stereo)

High tracking weight, not a lot of compliance either but I think (BICBW) that they're stereo compatible. 

Posted : 11/03/2020 5:48 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Thank you, not had a record player for 20 odd years and that had a magnetic cartridge of some sort, it would be the 1970’s when I replaced quite a number of cartridges and styli. 

Frank

Posted : 11/03/2020 6:55 pm
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)

@fixitnow2003

A typical surge limiting resistor would be in the range of 4 to 5W but before I can comment further, what is the value of reservoir capacitor used? At the moment have assumed 16μF for calcs.

Rich

Posted : 12/03/2020 12:06 am
FIXITNOW2003
(@fixitnow2003)
Topic starter

Posted by: @marconi_mpt4

@fixitnow2003

A typical surge limiting resistor would be in the range of 4 to 5W but before I can comment further, what is the value of reservoir capacitor used? At the moment have assumed 16μF for calcs.

Rich

as the dual can cap is very leaky i will have to replace it will need to dig out my box of spares and see what fits size wise. and then what values it has in it

will report back

Posted : 12/03/2020 7:39 am
FIXITNOW2003
(@fixitnow2003)
Topic starter

final had a little more time last night

the main smoothing cap is a Dual 32uF with a 1500R res between the 2 positives

basic pars list to help anyone in the future

There is a 1/2 meg volume pot/switch and 50K lin tone control neither look original as both shaft are somewhat hacked
A 25v 25uF red yellow elec with a 120R resistor across it
And a waxie 0.005 350V

and the 2 valves 

Posted : 13/03/2020 7:05 am
Marconi_MPT4, Nuvistor, Marconi_MPT4 and 3 people reacted
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

I would be inclined to change that red/blue electrolytic cap (the one with the yellow label). As I recall. these were not the most reliable of caps, and we (granddad) replaced a tidy few in the early 70s, radios mostly, but it was always these caps that came to attention.

Posted : 13/03/2020 7:32 pm
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)

there is no surge resistor so will add one what sort off wattage ?

One of the most informative data sheets for 6X4 was published by General Electric and includes various graphs. Link here http://r-type.org/pdfs/6x4-1.pdf  In particular rating chart III on page 4 illustrates minimum limiting resistance required versus input voltage. At 240V RMS the resistance is shown as approximately 180Ω  and absolute maximum surge current under any circumstance is 1.1A. Using a very accurate 6X4 SPICE model it was possible to simulate peak current not only for different resistance values but also for using two resistors, one to each anode. 

6X4 Table1

No surprises here, the existing circuit permits surge current to exceed rated absolute maximum by roughly four times (highlighted yellow). Using the recommended 180Ω per anode configuration the peak current agrees with data sheet value (Highlighted blue). However a single 180Ω resistor with diodes in parallel  works fine but results in lower voltage output. When using diodes in parallel, to reduce this loss simple reduce series resistance to 100Ω and keep within maximum surge current rating (highlighted green).

Rich

Mod Note: Fixed quote

Posted : 16/03/2020 4:45 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@marconi_mpt4

Do the calculations take into account the resistance of the secondary transformer winding?

Frank

Posted : 16/03/2020 6:33 pm
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)

@nuvistor

Yes you would normally expect the transformer to have a HT winding, but to quote an earlier post by FIXITNOW2003:

"no surge resistor on the 6x4 so will add one, the mains transformer is only for the valve heaters and only one primary voltage as no tapping's"

Based on those findings it appears to be configured without any surge limiting resistance or inductance and so calculated limits from that.

I question if this really was an original configuration or if  the HT transformer had been later replaced with a heater only version.  Valve types would suggest a design for isolated chassis. Now as this is a live chassis, is the pickup wiring isolated?

Rich

Posted : 16/03/2020 7:14 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: