Leak Stereo 30 Plus goes pop!

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
colourstar
(@colourstar)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

... and not in a good way! My trusty Leak blew it's internal fuse this evening when I switched it on. I looked at the fuse and it was blackened. With the top cover off the amp, I fitted another fuse and powered on momentarily. There was a deep hum/vibration from the mains transformer. I was able to switch off before the fuse blew. Would I be correct in thinking that one of the rectifier diodes has gone s/c?

Steve

Posted : 25/05/2016 11:44 pm
turretslug
(@turretslug)

It's certainly a strong possibility- particularly with a notably distressed looking fuse! Easy to check and should be cheap to sort if it is shorted diode(s). The sort of thing where I'd not bother messing around if one or two have gone and just look out four beefier diodes or an amply rated integrated bridge- the world's your oyster here with ratings and packages.

Fingers crossed that there's no more distressed semiconductors further down the line....,

Colin

Posted : 26/05/2016 1:13 am
jjl
 jjl
(@jjl)
Estimable Member Registered

Shorted rectifier diodes are very common with these Leak Stereo and Delta transistor amps. My own Delta 30 that I was given in non-working condition in 1983 had exactly this problem.
If this is the cause, I'd replace all 4 diodes with 1N5404 for long term peace of mind.

John

Posted : 26/05/2016 4:36 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

It's never advisable to just replace one diode in a bridge. Any of the others could be stressed if one fails. They are so cheap you may as well change all four for higher rated types. Hopefully a nice easy fix.

Posted : 26/05/2016 7:35 pm
colourstar
(@colourstar)
Topic starter

Thanks all for your helpful replies. I was certainly contemplating replacing all four diodes and will plump for a brace of 1N5404s.

The amp was a £10 cheapie from last year's NVCF. I didn't expect it to work, but to my surprise it did and has kept me entertained for a year. It's sounded even better of late thanks to the acquisition of a pair of B&W DM4 speakers for £12.99 from the local charity shop.

Steve

Posted : 26/05/2016 8:24 pm
Share: