Notifications
Clear all

Question Loudspeaker placement

syncpulse
(@syncpulse)
New V-Ratter Registered

its always bothered me & made me wonder about the ideal listening position for sound, can I create my own version of an acoustic room.

Much like viewing a program on the telly ... what is the best eye to screen height?

I'm not an audiophile, nor, these days have perfectly matched listening things called ears stuck to each side my head.

I've always thought that in a perfect world, in a room of 10' x 10' x 10', wooden floors, plaster painted walls, nothing else in the room only me, with me sitting on a stool in the centre of the room facing the speakers - that the speakers are fed from a wired audio source from an adjourning room should be placed slightly angled at the same height as my ears which would be approximately equal distance between floor and ceiling.

Is this going too far - should I simply stick with earphones, which I'd never do because I need to feel the vibration from the speakers through my whole body not just my ears!

Anyone else get a sense of their own ideal room size & speaker positioning?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/05/2021 9:37 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

@syncpulse

Not with my hearing, happy to have a radio near me and not fussy if it’s mono or stereo. Occasionally use headphones and find the experience excellent but don’t like wearing them too long.

Good book, radio playing nearby and a glass of whisky and I am happy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/05/2021 9:45 pm
syncpulse and Lloyd liked
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

@syncpulse

The room you describe would be far too 'live' - too many reflecting surfaces. You'd also need to decouple the speakers from the floor, hence the growth of spikes.

Traditionally the tweeters are placed at ear level when seated and the listener at the apex of an equilateral triangle typically of six to eight feet each side.

How close the speakers should be to a wall is best judged by experiment: my B&W DM601s like to be quite close, but my B&W 802s don't. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2021 5:33 am