Matsushita speaker power ratings.

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Rebel Rafter
(@rebel-rafter)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi, folks, RR here. Does anyone here know anything about the specifications of Matsushita or Technics speakers? I've got these really big three way floor standing hifi speakers that I got given way back 20-odd years ago and I'm trying now to find out what the power rating is for these speakers, all I've got is the number on the back of the woofer which is 25PL124SB. I think the first two figures are the size in cm's. They are 10" woofers but I don't know what the rest of the number means and I can't find anything about them on google. I know they're 8 ohm impedance and they're definitely Matsushita as they've got the familiar logo with the three connected triangles, not to be confused with the Mitsubishi logo with the three diamonds. any help most appreciated. RR.

Posted : 03/02/2016 12:35 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

Hi
I would say that most 3 way 10 inch speaker systems from the 80's or 90's would normally be able to handle 50 watts.
I can remember turning up my amp to an uncomfortably loud listening level and then measuring the power output, and being surprised to find it was about 2 watts per channel.
If you can turn the amp up to more than 10 watts, I would be surprised, unless you are in the open air or really large room.
So I would not worry about them handling the power of your amp whilst indoors at sensible levels.

Mike

Posted : 03/02/2016 8:49 am
Jamie
(@jskinner97)
Prominent Member Registered

They're probably about 30-50W I would imagine, knowing similar 80s speakers are the same. As Mike says though, unless you intend to do open air disco's with them I shouldn't worry!

I've got 35W Goodmans speakers hooked up to 100W Aiwa HIFI, But it's plenty loud enough before I get anywhere near their rated power. You also have to consider the will have an RMS rating and a max rating, RMS being what they can handle continously and max being what they can handle for short bursts. Often the max rating is 3 times the RMS or more.

Posted : 03/02/2016 9:41 am
Share: