Featured
Latest
Reproduction CD/Tap...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

Reproduction CD/Tape/Radio/Record player.

6 Posts
4 Users
15 Likes
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi, not real vintage so delate if not allowed.  Been given one of those repro units to look at. The CD mech wont open. I can work out how to get the radio/CD section from the cabinet. Only access is from underneath. Has anyone worked on one of these? Cheers, Malc.

Posted : 20/01/2022 3:27 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

No make, no model and no photo, Ooo you drive a hard request, you're trying to catch us out there Malc. 🤣 

So with a wild guess...... would this be one of those god awful SteepleTone offerings, you used to be able to nadge from Past Times?

The fix for the cd tray is petrol and a box of matches, followed by a swift triple whiskey to set your crazed brain back in order.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 20/01/2022 4:12 pm
WayneD, malcscott, Lloyd and 6 people reacted
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Topic starter

Yes, looks like a Steepletone clone. The eject button needs to be pressed for a couple of secs. Everything fine now. I can put the single malt away.

Posted : 20/01/2022 5:37 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

Oh dear!! These things are awful! But, saying that, they are probably really simple inside! You’ll probably need some sort of scraper to pick off all the hot melt glue holding it together, then it might be one of the later ones with just a bog standard CD ROM drive in it for the CD player. If not then it’ll be some nasty cheap plastic job, with either a failed motor, or one of the end stop leaf switches failed due to fumes from all the hot melt glue tarnishing the contacts!

good luck with it!!

Lloyd

Posted : 20/01/2022 5:38 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Topic starter

After i found out that the eject button needs to be pressed for a couple of seconds before it responds i am quite surprised with the performance. Looks like a rats nest inside, Malc.

Posted : 20/01/2022 8:27 pm
WayneD
(@wayned)
Honorable Member Registered

Posted : 21/01/2022 12:59 pm
Lloyd, Lloyd and Lloyd reacted
Share: