Notifications
Clear all

Another Ferguson Personal 3629

Focus Diode
(@focus)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

Thread started on the old forum.  http://www.forum.radios-tv.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13619&sid=1cf17af43ce8fef0405841093ed66c2chttp://www.forum.radios-tv.co.uk/viewtopic.php?

Set is now working extremely well with very good pictures and sound. Minor adjustments are needed to centre the picture and improve the top which is bowing slightly on the top right.

Not one valve has needed changing so far. The sound output stage has also been sound (sorry) but would be a good idea to carry out some preventative maintenance. I have several components on order including some 0.33uf axial capacitors. I'm not happy with the bridging of a 0.1uf type under a 0.22uf type in the 405 scan correction stage.

Then work on the cabinet.

It's a super little set capable of excellent results on both systems. The two photos show the set working on 625 lines.

Cheers

Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20160910_183.jpgEdited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20160922_195.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/09/2016 9:26 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Excellent repair Brian thumb_gif

I remember when I got mine a few years ago I was very impressed with the quality of pictures both on 405 and 625. A very nicely laid out chassis relatively good access for servicing too.

So what's on your to do list next?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2016 9:37 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)

Hi Chris,

I'll get back to the 13" GEC. It's working well but I need to service the bottom panel as it's suffering from distorted sound, a classic fault on this series of sets. As it hasn't got a UHF tuner I've linked it to give either 405 or 625 at VHF. A very simple transfer of a lead to a tag allows for this. Until then the set probably never functioned at 625 before.

It would have made a superb DXTV receiver.

Getting back to the Ferguson portable servicing access isn't as good as a standard sized 900-950. It's not possible to swing up the chassis as the scan coil leads are too short. I've seen far worse though. Nothing identified on the print side of the panel often results in the iron being applied to to the wrong component.. The 1400 series corrected this. They're definitely tops for service accessibility.

cheers

Brian

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 23/09/2016 10:41 am
Focus Diode
(@focus)

Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20160924_197-1.jpgEdited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20160924_196-2.jpgFinal adjustments carried out to the Ferguson Personal this evening. As previously mentioned I've had to compromise between 405 & 625 as adjusting on 405 results in slight lack of height and excessive width on 625. As the set will be mostly used on 625 priority was given here. It would of course have been better to have used the same source for both standards but the new portable DVD player doesn't have phono sockets unfortunately. I think the compromise is satisfactory anyway.

Everything working well on test, an intermittent low gain problem is evident on 625 only. This appears due to the system switch as tapping the knob sorts it. Tapping the UHF tuner makes no difference so it isn't that. The system switch is Bowden cabled , something obviously isn't making correctly somewhere.

In the old days removing the system switch and hard wiring to 625 would've been done. Certainly not what I intend to do!

cheers

Brian

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/09/2016 7:29 pm
GEC2110
(@gec2110)
Member Deactivated Account

Great television you have there always wanted one of these 3629

Mark.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2016 1:32 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)

Hi Mark,

Still plenty around it seems. As with other Thorn sets restoration is straightforward and can give an excellent account of themselves.

Now I have suitable scart to phono adapter's I'll have another go at adjustments using the same test card source for both systems (a DVD purchased many years ago which includes everything you'd expect from a pattern generator).

Looking at the photos above 625 looks unsatisfactory with its low height and excessive width, yet the correct adjustment results in inadequate width and excessive height on 405-lines! I'm sure better results will result on using identical sources on both systems. I'll upload photos when this is done.

Cheers

Brian

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/10/2016 11:54 am
GEC2110
(@gec2110)
Member Deactivated Account

That  was the good thing about thorn sets , they may not have had the best pictures but were a joy to service .

and a very innovative manufacturer

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/10/2016 3:45 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)

Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20161020_243.jpgEdited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20161020_244.jpgRigged up the Maplin UHF modulator and Aurora to the DVD player to access the results from the identical output on both systems.

Can't upload the new pics at the moment.

EDIT- managed to upload the images.

cheers

Brian

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/10/2016 8:30 pm