5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
peterscott
(@peterscott)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Titled:

A television console featured at the “Landi“, or Swiss National Exposition, 1939
Image: collection Museum of Communication

Forum 142

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

Posted : 29/01/2014 5:41 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

EMI certainly exported across Europe and Switzerland - many pre-war sets from EMI appear in the Thali-Schema Sammlung, a Swiss version of RATS for want of a better description so this set doesn't surprise me if I'm honest. HMV would do one in oak if you asked them nicely: Baird produced a TV set in oak veneer just before the war (the T27(o)), the finish being more suited to an "institutional" environment! The covers over the controls I assume were to prevent tampering in a public display.

Posted : 29/01/2014 6:11 pm
peterscott
(@peterscott)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

See:  https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/hasler_landi.html

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

Posted : 28/09/2018 11:49 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

"produced as a feasibility study, no production due to lack of standards and market uncertainty."

Posted : 28/09/2018 12:25 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

According to Wikipedia tests were transmitted in 1939 but it was 1950 before the first broadcasts.

The article also states that terrestrial TV will stop carrying the State broadcaster SRG SSR from Sept 2019 citing the costs, encrypted but free to air will be by satellite and I presume cable and internet which seem popular. Could that happen in the U.K.?

I was in Bern last year but with a 7 and 5 year old with me it was not possible to visit the Communication Museum, perhaps another time.

Edit , shame on me getting my granddaughters ages wrong, they were 6 and 4 at the time.

Frank

Posted : 28/09/2018 12:38 pm
Share: