7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi everyone,

Today I thought that I would do something with a black & white set for a change. This 23" Ultra has been on my "to do" list for many years. It was working but required a new dropper as the original has had its fair share of sections fitted by previous repairers.

I bought a NOS dropper on e-bay a couple of years ago so fitted that. The set then warmed up and as you can see displays a very good picture on both 405 & 625. While checking things I noticed that the boost cap was although working, was split so replaced it . The frame is creeping up after a while so some caps will need changing. Incidently this was the model that my Grandparents rented from Rumbelows before being replaced by the HMV 1400, which I also have an example of .

Regards.
Gary

Posted : 26/09/2015 5:29 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

That is a handsome set ! I like it :aad

Try the PCL85 first for the frame creep.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 26/09/2015 8:48 pm
colourstar
(@colourstar)

That is a handsome set ! I like it :aad

Seconded! Looks really smart Gary and a decent crt too. Funny how the 23" tubes seemed to have a longer service life than the 'squared up' 24" types.

Steve

Posted : 27/09/2015 11:59 am
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Hi Gary,

I shall "third" the comments already said, it really does look a very tidy set indeed. :aad

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 27/09/2015 12:51 pm
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)
Reputable Member Registered

Hi Gary , that looks a very smart set in fantastic condition . It's always nice to collect sets our parents & grandparents had.
I nearly have all the sets my grandparents had with one exception & the same with my parents sets
I must say it took me years to find a GEC 2001 Electra set but got one eventually , it's just the first colour set that's becoming a problem a GEC C2103 seems impossible to get one .
Chris

Posted : 27/09/2015 1:30 pm
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Topic starter

Hi
Everyone thanks for your kind comments.
As you say Chris it's nice to try and collect sets that our families had , that little 19" ultra in particular that I bought from you . I never thought I would obtain one of those .
Regards.
Gary.

Posted : 27/09/2015 2:40 pm
Rally coordinator
(@rallycoordinator)
Eminent Member Registered

Your very successful BRC1400 restoration has prompted me to dig out an HMV 2661 portable, which similarly has an open circuit dropper resistor.

Whilst I have achieved first light, there are a number of developing faults (including frame collapse) which will be covered by a new thread in the next week or so.

Mike

Posted : 30/09/2015 4:20 pm
Share: