British Television in 1940

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Panrock
(@panrock)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

Elsewhere, at viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4096&p=43261&hilit=waggon#p43261 reference has been made to the 1940 British film "Band Waggon". starring Arthur Askey and Richard Murdoch.

This features several television sets. One is a futuristic mock-up but the others appear to be real 1939 models, actually working.

See if you can identify the sets!

Steve

Posted : 22/07/2014 10:38 am
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace

I'm pretty sure that the first two are the same model, a Baird T26 but the third stumps me. It certainly isn't in the KB review of sets at the 1938 Radiolympia or on Steve McVoy's site. It seems to be a push-button Radio/TV, perhaps with a gram in a "lowboy" configuration but I can't find anything like it! Murphy made such sets with exposed radios to the LHS of the screen , the A58V but it certainly isn't one of those!

Forum Memorial

Posted : 22/07/2014 11:21 am
Panrock
(@panrock)
Topic starter

I'm inclined toward a 1939 Philips for the first and the third, I believe, is a Bush. Go to Jon's site... This 47 guinea set appears to be in a dealer's shop window - still there after the outbreak of war.

Steve

Posted : 22/07/2014 11:28 am
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Hi Steve,

Third one....Bush P63 from 1939 ? :aaq

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 22/07/2014 11:55 am
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace

This is the fourth time I have tried to post! :bbd :bbd . The first two failures were due to hitting the little red cross at the top RHS of the screen at the wrong time and the third was a “time out” due to unexpected visitors so I am now composing this in Word to copy into the website when finished!

I agree with the first being a Philips, probably a 12” version of the 2407, the shoulders at the sides of the cabinet being plain to see. The second, however, I still reckon is a Baird T26. There is a horizontal bar across the loudspeaker and no badge in between the controls – present on the Philips. The third, as Marc says, is a Bush P63. I forgot to check on Jon’s excellent site for info although it is on my bookmark bar!

I have ordered a DVD of the film as it fits well with the pre-war tells and they are incredibly cheap being under £5 with postage!

Forum Memorial

Posted : 22/07/2014 1:57 pm
Panrock
(@panrock)
Topic starter

I have ordered a DVD of the film as it fits well with the pre-war tells and they are incredibly cheap being under £5 with postage!

Yes, and there's musical entertainment and comedy included in this film which, to my mind, looks very similar to the sort of fare that would have come from pre-war AP.

Steve

Posted : 22/07/2014 2:08 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Steve,

Third one....Bush P63 from 1939 ? :aaq

Marc.

Doesn't half look like it. As many will know, this was Bush's first "home" design for a TV set, having previously built them for Baird to Baird's designs (as both companies effectively came under the Ostrer Brother's umbrella, this is no surprise). According to the ever-useful Grace's Guide, the companies separated in April 1939. Plus, you can see a poster with "Bush" writ large upon it in the background!

Somewhere I read that the P.63 used 'soft' valve timebases, thus unlike earlier Baird sets.

Now, does anyone have access to the Practical Wireless issues covering the 1939 Radiolympia? The P.63 is in there...

Posted : 22/07/2014 2:17 pm
Panrock
(@panrock)
Topic starter

Yes, and there's musical entertainment and comedy included in this film which, to my mind, looks very similar to the sort of fare that would have come from pre-war AP.

Talking of which, here are the pre-war Radio Times Television Supplements. What wonderful - and novel - entertainment television then was!

Steve

Posted : 22/07/2014 2:35 pm
Share: