Share:
Notifications
Clear all

BTL's Premises at Crystal Palace

peterscott
(@peterscott)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered

I have added a little more to my website about BTL's premises at Crystal Palace and then just yesterday came across this photo showing the South Tower that they used for their aerials when testing the experimental 180 line and 240 line transmissions. What do you think is happening in the photo?

The answer is not obvious but none the less interesting.

Peter

901ee46b7e71fb899218af8959d8f9d1

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/01/2021 8:24 am
peterscott
(@peterscott)

No takers?

Well when I first saw it I couldn't think what was happening until I discovered that the Crystal Palace was home to the Imperial War Museum from WW1 until 1924 when it moved to Bedlam. The mystery photo predates the BTL occupation at the Palace and shows one of the more extreme tools for observing the enemy's position. It is a very long periscope. Also in the Museum's collection is a more down to earth tool for the same purpose, the camouflage tree.

Peter

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/01/2021 5:24 pm
Lloyd and Nuvistor liked
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

I would never have thought if that.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/01/2021 6:31 pm
peterscott
(@peterscott)

You are not alone Frank. It does seem a rather improbably contraption and perhaps not surprising that most people have no knowledge of it.

Peter.

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/01/2021 8:59 pm
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Active V-Ratter Registered

FF to the 24 1/2 century!

https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/8e6b4e34-c9e9-40b3-a1d7-ddb95a2eb974#yiB-BlGbZG.copy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2021 7:29 am
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

I thought they were putting up some sort of mast for an aerial! The camouflage tree is brilliant, has all the looks of one of Baldrick’s cunning plans!

Regards

Lloyd

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2021 5:58 pm
peterscott
(@peterscott)

@lloyd Yes, you can imagine the Germans saying "I don't remember a tree there" or "That tree looks very different" if they cut down an existing tree over night. I also wondered how how well the periscope worked. Presumably they must have had optics at the top and bottom of each telescopic section? If they didn't I don't see how they would see anything given the bending.

Peter

a0cbf7bfd4bdaf6c16988bb160290341

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/01/2021 9:09 am
peterscott
(@peterscott)

It would appear that the periscope was a German device. There is more about it here.

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/01/2021 11:45 am
peterscott
(@peterscott)
Posted by: @peterscott

@lloyd Yes, you can imagine the Germans saying "I don't remember a tree there" or "That tree looks very different" if they cut down an existing tree over night. I also wondered how how well the periscope worked. Presumably they must have had optics at the top and bottom of each telescopic section? If they didn't I don't see how they would see anything given the bending.

Peter

a0cbf7bfd4bdaf6c16988bb160290341

I had assumed that the optics were through the telescopic mast but now that I see the close up photo the telescope was just sighting the top mirror system externally.

Peter

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/01/2021 12:05 pm