5 Users
0 Likes
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi all,

Just acquired this Bush TUG24 via eBay today. It seems in fair condition cosmetically, just a few scratches and plenty of dirt to get rid of.
After a quick look inside through all the cobwebs and thick dust all seems complete with the exception of the LOPT housing cover which sadly is missing.
It's had a few caps replaced over the years but it all looks to be pre 70's work.
It also has the Bush band III converter fitted which I intend to leave on and anyway how else would you cover the hole in the back panel ?

It will be a while before the chassis hits the bench as there is quite a queue but I thought I would introduce the set to you all now.

Cheers,
Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 13/06/2015 5:55 pm
mark pirate
(@mark-pirate)
Honorable Member Registered

Was that the set from Oldham? If so it looks a lot nicer in your photos :aad
I left the band III converter in place when I restored my TV24, but disconnected it from the RF deck and reinstated the wire to the contrast control. I think they are better left in situ, as it is part of the set's history.
Lots of caps to replace on these, also check the blocking TX as they always seem to be O/C on the primary :ccb
The tube should be fine, but the LOPT is a bit of a lottery!

I would save it for the long winter months, I have 12 TV's and 10 radios in the queue, let alone 2 radiograms and three record players....

Posted : 13/06/2015 6:33 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Mark,

Yep, that's the one from Oldham and yes the eBay photo's were poor plus it could have done with a wipe over first but the fella selling the set is in pretty poor health at the moment so he did what he could considering. I do admit to actually enlarging the ebay shots for closer inspection and thought to myself that it was probably far better than it appeared and it is ! :aad

Now I seem to be unlucky with 12" roundies but in this case it looks like my luck has changed as the B&K has it nicely in the green straight away and it's still got time to cook and improve further.

Oh yes "the dreaded LOPT" I'm already in need of 2 for other projects, we shall see :cch

You have 12 TV's and 10 radios in the queue, let alone 2 radiograms and three record players....Tut tut, is that all ???? :aaj

Anyway here's proof of the CRT's metaphoric pudding so far.....

Cheers,
Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 13/06/2015 6:55 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Marc,
Lot's of waxies to replace including those heater decouplers on the RF deck. I had to replace all of them in the TUG24 I restored last year.
I'd leave the Band three tuner in place, it's a beautiful piece of engineering.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 13/06/2015 9:04 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Marc,
I'd leave the Band three tuner in place, it's a beautiful piece of engineering.
Till Eulenspiegel.

Hi Till,

No worries there, the Band III tuner is staying put ! :)

I've left the CRT simmering for a few hours and it has slightly improved according to the B&K so at least that looks good for the future.

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 13/06/2015 10:18 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Marc,

Maybe hold on to this set, and you and I could do a parallel restoration - your TUG Vs my TV versions? Just a thought.

If you recall, my CRT heater is O/C, and I was given a substitute tube that is flat as Dutch landscape.

Marion

Posted : 13/06/2015 10:30 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Marc,
If you recall, my CRT heater is O/C, and I was given a substitute tube that is flat as Dutch landscape.
Marion

Hi Marion,

I do remember in both cases :ccb and your not on your own with 12" bad luck, I have a TV24 awaiting a suitable replacement CRT as well as a LOPT. :cch

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 13/06/2015 10:36 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Marc,

When it comes to LOPTs, mine is the ultimate unknown quantity.. I guess I should have it out and ring test the beast.. As for the blocking transformer, also unknown, but at least you can rebuild the circuit, modernise and modify, thus obviating the transformer.

I think the biggest job is replacing all those waxies - assuming good transformers.

Marion

Posted : 13/06/2015 10:58 pm
mark pirate
(@mark-pirate)
Honorable Member Registered

Hi Marc, I had a feeling the tube would be a goodun :qq1
My TV24 has a cracking tube, like yours it came straight up on the B&K, LOPT was toast though :bbd
Oh by the way, I added another two radios to the pile today :bba

Posted : 14/06/2015 9:06 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Marc, I added another two radios to the pile today :bba

I think I need to add a really large shed to my pile before I end up sleeping in the garden ! :ccf

As for the LOPT, the little I can see of it, it does look clean but there is surface rust definitely showing on the top of the core laminates so it's condition is still a lottery :aaq

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 14/06/2015 9:27 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Marc,
It is a good idea to pass a small current through the LOPTx overwind in order to warm it up. This action drive out any moisture. I've done this on a couple of occasions to transformers which I know were stored in damp conditions. About 30mA is about right.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 14/06/2015 10:01 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Marc,
It is a good idea to pass a small current through the LOPTx overwind in order to warm it up. This action drive out any moisture. I've done this on a couple of occasions to transformers which I know were stored in damp conditions. About 30mA is about right.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Hi Till,

Yes that's a very good idea just one small problem ... I don't have a power supply though it is something on my wish list.

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 14/06/2015 10:11 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Marc,

Till Eulenspiegel.

That, plus a ring test should prove whether good or bad.. With regard to the core laminates, it will depend on how badly rusted they are, and whether they've expanded far enough to stretch the windings - assuming they have expanded?

Unless the laminates have disintegrated to a pile of FeO, there is hope for the beast!

Marion

Posted : 14/06/2015 10:16 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Marc,
you only need about 20 to 30 volts to drive 30mA though the windings. If you have a small mains transformer that can deliver this voltage then a proper bench power supply will be unnecessary. An old video recorder transformer can be used for example.
I've used old video transformers to make power supplies for my battery radios. The display winding was used for the HT.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 14/06/2015 10:22 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi all,

Marion,
The laminates don't look that bad so should be in with half a chance.... I hope. :cch
It might get a ring test but not for a while yet.

Till,
Yep that's a possibility using an old TX but I would still like a "controllable" bench PSU, it's nice to know exactly what's going on if you know what I mean. :qq1

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 14/06/2015 11:49 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Hi all,

Till,
Yep that's a possibility using an old TX but I would still like a "controllable" bench PSU, it's nice to know exactly what's going on if you know what I mean.

Marc.

Hi Marc,

Variac + TX of your choice + multimeter (set to mA range) = Bob's your uncle? ..... If current is the important issue and a low voltage TX is employed, monitoring the voltage isn't essential. :)

Let's say, that's how I plan to proceed with my new(ish) arrival - TV85 (the one you delivered. :) :aad :aal )

Marion

Posted : 15/06/2015 12:02 am
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Marc,

Variac + TX of your choice + multimeter (set to mA range) = Bob's your uncle? ..... If current is the important issue and a low voltage TX is employed, monitoring the voltage isn't essential. :)

Let's say, that's how I plan to proceed with my new(ish) arrival - TV85 (the one you delivered. :) :aad :aal )

Marion

Hi Marion,

I guess that's probably what I'll do but I still fancy a Bench PSU if one turns up.

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 15/06/2015 12:25 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I guess that's probably what I'll do but I still fancy a Bench PSU if one turns up.

Might have something in the shed for you... :qq1

Posted : 15/06/2015 6:33 am
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter

Might have something in the shed for you... :qq1

Hi Catho,

I'm intrigued now ! :)

Marc.

Marc