Bush TV32 revisited.

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

This set was discussed in the old VRAT forum.

The discussion ended because the original MW36-24 CRT was completely worn out. Without delay the search was on for a replacement which proved not to be easy.  It would seem that 14" rectangular CRTs are even more scarce than the 12" roundies.  Finally, a complete Sobell T143 appeared on an on-line auction website, the seller was willing to post it so I decided it was worth the gamble, the CRT might be good. The set arrived in good condition. But first the set had to be fully serviced so that the CRT condition could be assessed, the gamble paid off, the CRT displays really bright pictures just like a new tube. The CRT will be removed from the Sobell and used as a replacement for the worn out tube in the Bush. 

So what will happen to the Sobell?  Worry not I've got plans for it, it will display pictures again.

Till Eulenspiegel.

tv32.jpg

Posted : 07/01/2017 10:38 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I thought you were short of roomeek_gif, is this the Sobell you have been posting about on the UKVRR forum.

Always a good read following your exploits.thumb_gif

Frank

Frank

Posted : 07/01/2017 11:26 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Frank,

The reason why I bought the Sobell was really for the MW36-24 CRT and as luck would have it it's a good one. The CRT will go into the Bush and the Sobell will receive another 14" CRT, an AW36-20. The AW36-20 has an electrostatic gun assembly so a considerable amount of modifications will be necessary.  First the focus magnet will be removed and a special aluminium adaptor plate made to support the rear of the tube. While the set is in a dismantled state I intend to modify the frame timebase circuit, the idea being to alter the circuit to resemble the later model TS17.

Time to make a start on the TV32, will report back later about the results.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 07/01/2017 11:58 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

The replacement CRT was installed yesterday, it took two attempts to achieve a perfect fit.  The CRT is mounted in the cabinet separate from the chassis, same arrangement as the later TV53 and TV62.  In the TV32 the focus magnet assembly is mounted on the upper chassis deck so in order the CRT neck is central in the magnet so a great deal of accurate reassembly is demanded.  The first attempt resulted in that the focus magnet did not line up with the CRT neck. The CRT itself needed to be moved over about 4mm to the left. The CRT was removed from the cabinet and the fixing brackets were repositioned around the clamping band. The CRT was refitted and it's position in the cabinet checked to confirm it was centralised.  That confirmed the chassis was refitted. This time the focus magnet lined up correctly, a certain amount of adjustment is allowed to the centralise the CRT neck in the magnet. Everything was prepared to test the set. This set has a very long warm up time, more than three minutes, nearer four minutes which far too long a period time. Something will have to be done about this. Anyway, after this long warm up period I was greeted with a picture of sorts, final adjustment of the ion trap magnet followed by picture centering adjustments the results can be seen in the attachment.  Note that the scan coils need slight readjustment.                                                                                    A few more jobs are needed to be done before the full restoration is completed, the sound output is a bit low so that will be looked into later today.

Till Eulenspiegel.

DSC_0145_8-1.jpg

Posted : 08/01/2017 11:22 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Till Eulenspiegel said 
                                                                                   A few more jobs are needed to be done before the full restoration is completed, the sound output is a bit low so that will be looked into later today.

How about a pair of 6L6 in push-pull like the radical alteration I made in my RGD 5000?  grin_gifgrin_gif

Well done an a great set, it's looking like new thumb_gif

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 08/01/2017 11:35 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Excellent results and what a superb picture. Some of the 405 line sets up to 17-19 inch screens were capable of truly amazing quality pictures.

Frank

Frank

Posted : 08/01/2017 11:43 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Andrew,  maybe not the TV32 for the sound power boost. For my ultimate 405 line receiver project I have a spare Pye black box amplifier which I'm considering installing in the 23" Pye V600A TV.  The BB amplifier employs a pair of EL42 pentodes which may not be considered as anything powerful but they are lot better than the ECL80 that is the present sound output valve.  The truth is I don't like this set very much but until a 23" HMV 1920 or Pam L1000A "Prince Regent" turns up I'm stuck with it. But what's of the chances of that happening?

Hi Frank, when you think about it the 14" rectangular CRT was the favoured display for studio monitors.  Almost flat screen and straight sides.  Pity about the radius corners though.

One dual standard set that displays a superb 405 pictures is the GEC or Sobell 1000 series. Also the later versions like the 2017. Pictures are so good on these sets it doesn't matter which line standard you watch the pictures, and all this from relatively simple circuits.  Radio and Allied designers were clever.  Just think about the 2028 CTV.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 08/01/2017 12:34 pm
Share: