Can anyone identify this chassis?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi I have been given this chassis by a friend, he attends a lot of furniture and military auctions and brings me the odd TV set from time to time. The arrangement being that I can buy them for a little more than what he pays. In the event that he brings me something I don't want I sell it on ebay for him.
I am sure one day he will turn up with a dual standard colour set so I am keen to keep him happy. :)
The other day he came round with this chassis, it's not one I recognise. I think it may be a commercially made chassis rather than a home made set but it seems to have been modified at some point judging by the tagstrip and row of connectors beneath it on the rear of the chassis.
Most of the Valves are Cossor, the lopt is potted in pitch in a oblong can with a removable lid. the set looks early 1950's to me but beyond that I'm out of ideas.
Anyone recognise it? any idea what the (presumed) modification was for?
Many thanks.
Rich.

Posted : 04/04/2015 11:03 pm
linesync
(@linesync)
Trusted Member Registered

Hi Rich
This looks like a cossor chassis to me and the front knobs look cossor as well.
I have no idea what the tag strips are for.

Robin

Posted : 04/04/2015 11:18 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace

It is possibly the top chassis of a console set with the audio/power supplies in a lower chassis. The upper of the two tagstrips looks to be original - an anchor for the umbilical which goes between the two chassis. This is sort of borne out by the screened cable coming through the hole in the chassis rear wall. :aab

Forum Memorial

Posted : 04/04/2015 11:51 pm
Cobaltblue
(@cobaltblue)

Its possibly a 928 (924 series Chassis)

The same chassis was used on several sets but this doesn't have a tone control.

It looks as if someone wanted to make it easier to disconnect the Radio.

You can get the 924 series handbook from Jons web page here

Cheers

Mike T

I don't care if it was a bargain whats it doing on my kitchen table. www.cossor.co.uk

Posted : 05/04/2015 12:12 am
mark pirate
(@mark-pirate)

Looks like a 928, I sadly had to scrap one some years back due to severe woodworm :aai

Posted : 05/04/2015 9:36 am
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)
Topic starter

Thanks for the replies, I didn't realise the power supply and amp were on another chassis, but yes the volume control screened leads come out to the tagstrip, as Mike T said it looks as if someone has fitted the socket and wired it to the tagstrip to make the chassis un pluggable.
I am tempted to remove this as it is really badly done with the wires wrapped around the tags . that said what am I going to do with half a chassis from a Cossor TV?
It seems a shame to scrap it it's very well made! I will see if I can get the tube tested I suppose that could be useful...
:aad
Rich.

Posted : 06/04/2015 11:16 am
Cobaltblue
(@cobaltblue)

Hi Rich

If its a 924 series the power supply is built in not separate you should find a large mains transformer underneath the chassis at the back in the middle.

Look at the details for the 928

That's the filament transformer.

The Connections to the radio chassis just do the switch over between Radio and TV its quite obvious on the circuit.

This is the upper tag strip.

Cheers

Mike T

I don't care if it was a bargain whats it doing on my kitchen table. www.cossor.co.uk

Posted : 06/04/2015 11:34 am
Share: