Colour Television 1954

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account
Topic starter

I found these couple of pages taken from Picture Post, 13 March 1954, which explain the basic principles of colour TV. Is the TV set an early experimental model or a mock-up for the photo?

This post is also an experiment for me, as I am linking the pictures from a photobucket account (following Peter Scott's instructions, so please blame Peter if it doesn't work :=D ).

The pictures have been loaded to quite a large size to keep the text legible, so I'm afraid you might have to scroll across a bit.

Keith

Forum 142
Forum 143

Posted : 01/11/2011 2:58 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

The second picture didn't come out quite as large as I'd hoped, but I can't see anyway of enlarging it. Hope you can read it anyway.

Keith

Posted : 01/11/2011 3:00 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

The picture is very square (though rounded corners) and flat and similar contrast and colour balance to rest of print also the case isn't very deep, so I vote for mock-up. Though experimental colour sets did exist in UK then.

Posted : 01/11/2011 3:53 pm
Aerodyne
(@aerodyne)
Estimable Member Registered

Colour TV using the RCA shadowmask and luminance/chrominance system was operational in the USA as early as 1954. I recall seeing adverts in National Geographic (American edition) around the time. Very small screens, though. Sizes were quoted in square inches. It took a long time for colour TV to really get going in the USA, partly due to the considerable loss of brilliance caused by the early shadowmasks (only about 25% of each colour beam actually passed through the mask to reach the phosphor) and of course the NTSC system which, due to a lack of phase alternation and delay line storage, became known as 'Never Twice the Same Colour'. On this side of the pond we benefitted from NOT being the first with a large-scale colour TV service. The European PAL system with its phase alternation and delay proved far better tham NTSC in picture quality.
All that said, the images above do look rather like mock-ups to me. An interesting item, this.
-Tony

Posted : 01/11/2011 5:46 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I've always be blown away by the quality of early American Colour or Color as they say. Check out this 1956 RCA Victor. It's worth checking out this guys other videos he's got a great collection and is a top restorer.

... r_embedded

Chris

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 01/11/2011 5:59 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

First successful demonstrations of NTSC color by RCA in 1951. First Electronic Colour TV tests probably 1924 in Germany.

Cinemascope (1953 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinemascope ) and later Panavision (1954 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panavision ) plus greater emphasis on Colour production of Holywood films from 1953 was a direct reaction to the perceived threat of color TV. Though some Widescreen films made in 1920s and first colour movie in 1890s! UK, French and German film industry continued to do a lot of B&W and Academy format (close to 4:3) into the 1960s.

So we can thank TV for more and better cinema colour. The value of widescreen though is debatable and certainly should never have been introduced before HD on TV as the Horizontal resolution of 576 line Digital and is the same pixels as 480 line digital and PAL already had poorer horizontal than vertical resolution.

NTSC is fine in the lab. It's distortion during transmission that is the problem. PAL is essentially the same system where hue errors caused in distribution/transmission are swapped for desaturation.

Posted : 01/11/2011 6:07 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

You can switch the crystal and disable the alternate line switching on some PAL decoders to use them as NTSC. I did this with Thorn TX10 in about 1981 to see colour on the "black & White" Apple II for Europe, which simply has non-standard crystal (not 3.57MHz) due to being 625line instead of 525line. I don't know how the later European "colour" Apple II worked.

So if you had 405 -625 colour dual standard all you need is suitable change over switch, a small relay stuck on veroboard with PAL and 405 NTSC crystals soldered into holes on PCB for original crystal and a couple of other small modifications.

Posted : 01/11/2011 7:46 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

I think it's easier with older ones! But likely depends on the chip(s).

It's a LOoooonggggg time since I looked at that stuff. Strangely the BBC lecturer on Colour systems I had was colour blind. Maybe he dated from before applicants did a colour blindness test (the pages of numbers with pastel coloured dots).

Posted : 01/11/2011 8:13 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

From the great sage, F.J. Camm - 1958

Forum 144

Forum 145

Forum 146

Forum 147

Forum 148

Forum 149