Featured
Latest
Coming up soon: an ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

Coming up soon: an exciting new restoration project!

100 Posts
12 Users
21 Likes
12.9 K Views
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Till Eulenspiegel said
Work on the cabinet continues. There is traces of green paint to get rid of and it ain't easy trying to remove the stuff.

Latest picture of the surface of the cabinet top.  Beautiful veneer pattern and to think they sloshed that green stuff over this?

BeauDecca182854.jpg

Till Eulenspiegel.  

I've often had that argument with people who think a coat of reassuringly expensive paint like Farrow and Ball or similar greatly improves "boring brown furniture that no-one wants anyway."

A week or two ago I was at our local auction house and there was the most beautiful 1950s bedroom set executed entirely in birds-eye maple; it consisted of lady's and gentleman's wardrobes, bedside cabinets, dressing table and head/footboards for the bed. If I had the room in my bedroom, that would have come home with me...

Posted : 27/09/2017 6:24 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

That paint was the most dire sacrilege of the diabolical kind. That cabinet is going look fantastic once it's been restored.

I certainly 'doff me cap' to you on this one!

Marion

Posted : 27/09/2017 9:26 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Well now,

Wouldn't you just believe it? A 101 has come up for sale, but it's in Truro - had enough work done on it to get "..a raster of sorts.." on the CRT.

Lots of cabinet, tiny little screen. Love it! If it were nearer I'd even take a punt at it.......innocent

Marion

Posted : 07/10/2017 9:52 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Marion,  Checked out the distance Newcastle to Truro, it's more than 450 miles.   > Nine hundred mile round trip to pick up an old TV. No thanks, I'll keep faith with the green cabinet restoration. Just got to get rid of the last traces of that horrible paint and then work can commence modifying the cabinet to accommodate the Plessey Mark 1 chassis.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 09/10/2017 1:04 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

NEWS FLASH!   22:00hrs: The Ebay Decca 101 TV sold for £16.00!

That's a lot less than I paid for the green cabinet.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 09/10/2017 10:03 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

So I see!.... Arrgghhhh!!nuts_gif

As long as it doesn't end up painted green, gutted and offered for sale a "retro/antique" bookcase.

Like I said, if it had been nearby, I'd have taken a punt at it, but Truro would be around 350 miles from here, and I'm good for around 30~35 miles (on a good day). After that, my lumbar spine gets very angry.

Marion

Posted : 09/10/2017 10:18 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

What a bargain but alas too far away for me. Fingers crossed it's gone to an enthusiast.

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 09/10/2017 11:02 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Posted by: Katie Bush

That method of mounting a CRT always used to give me the 'heebeegeebees' but then, what was the alternative?

Work on recreating the Decca 101 has restarted.  This week I will concentrate on finding a method of mounting the round 12" CRT, the chances are it will have to be those webbing straps and springs.

A new removable front panel has been made and now I have to figure out how the CRT and it's rubber mask can be fitted on a new front panel.  Without having a similar set to copy some artistic license will have to be allowed. However, what does appear apparent in the pictures of the Decca 101 is that the front panel can be removed for screen cleaning.  Rather taking the risk of using a good CR tube  I have a broken CRM121 CRT for test fitting in the new front panel.

The most difficult part of the recreation is those Decca trade mark loudspeaker slats, all eighteen of them!

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 23/12/2018 6:24 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

The new front panel test fitted today.  The original cabinet floor will be chopped out because the Decca 101 service manual informs us that it is possible to carry out most servicing to the chassis by simply inverting the cabinet.

The Plessey sourced chassis is supported on two narrow battens.

Note the green cabinet doors and a glimpse of a Murphy V136 which has suffered the same fate as the Decca 121 cabinet.

Till Eulenspiegel.

000 0335

Posted : 23/12/2018 11:45 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

The correct rubber mask needed for the Decca 101 was removed from the Defiant TR1250.  

Till  Eulenspiegel.

000 0436

Posted : 25/12/2018 4:49 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

A new control panel made and fitted.

Till Eulenspiegel.

000 0734

Posted : 28/12/2018 3:21 pm
PYE625, PYE625 and PYE625 reacted
MurphyV310
(@murphyv310)
Honorable Member Registered

Hi David.

I like the double 13 amp socket fitted to the screen, excellent. ? 

Cheers,
Trevor.
MM0KJJ. RSGB, GQRP, WACRAL, K&LARC. Member

Posted : 28/12/2018 7:35 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I did have to look twice at that photo.

Great job on the cabinet.

Frank

Posted : 28/12/2018 10:00 pm
MongooseDC
(@mongoosedc)
Trusted Member Registered

Hi all and a happy new Year. 

As there's no electronics left in this one you could install an arcade monitor chassis and make  the bottom section contain the decoder and audio. I'm nnot sure about the green paintwork but  it all depends whether you want original looks. Me, I'm starting the other way round, once I can get back into trhings after the New Year break. I'm beginning with a chassis and building a cabinet, and although it's going to look retro, it should be totally unique.

Posted : 01/01/2019 11:26 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Posted by: MongooseDC

As there's no electronics left in this one you could install an arcade monitor chassis and make  the bottom section contain the decoder and audio. 

If you knew David and the work he does, an arcade monitor chassis wouldn't even be the last thing he would consider, in fact it would be complete heresy.  ? 

Besides on page two you should have noticed he already has an appropriate candidate chassis, see here. Also making progress with the electronics here.

Posted by: MongooseDC

I'm nnot sure about the green paintwork but  it all depends whether you want original looks. 

With Davids renowned cabinet skills, leaving it green was never going to be an option. Again by reading up to page 4 of the thread you will have noticed he has all but achieved its removal, see here.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 02/01/2019 8:49 am
MurphyV310
(@murphyv310)
Honorable Member Registered

Hi.

Like Chris I've seen David's cabinet skills. He is a true craftsman and also a very generous person. I was gifted his Ekco TSC30A a couple of years ago and to say I was gobsmacked is an under statement. The set has an illustrious history after being chopped in half to make a table model. To cut a long story short David and another friend rebuilt this back to its former glory of a console set. As far as we know it is the only surviving one and it looks superb. I also remember David building a replica cabinet for a pre war GEC and don't forget Mike's HMV900.

I certainly would love to have those carpentry skills he has.

Cheers,
Trevor.
MM0KJJ. RSGB, GQRP, WACRAL, K&LARC. Member

Posted : 02/01/2019 9:42 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Update on the progress of the Decca 101 recreation.

The 6.35mm safety glass was made by a local firm, Traditional Glass.  The correct rubber mask for the Decca was removed from a Defiant TR1250 TV set.                        

Decca 101 Console Receiver5
Decca 101 Console Receiver6

The Plessey Mk1 chassis from the Defiant will be installed later on.  The CRT chosen for the Decca will be a Mullard  MW31-74.  

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 24/01/2019 12:58 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

The loudspeaker baffle board was test fitted today.

The Decca 101 had a large round loudspeaker.  8 or 10" unit?

Till Eulenspiegel.

Decca 101 Console Receiver7

Posted : 22/02/2019 10:31 pm
Marc, Marc and Marc reacted
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Meanwhile work continues on the Decca cabinet. Those awful green doors are now showing the veneer pattern.  The eighteen vertical slats were made earlier this year.

Decca 101 Cabinet Doors

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 27/06/2021 6:40 pm
Nuvistor, ntscuser, Lloyd and 9 people reacted
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

But elements of this former hipster horror show still exist.   Those door knobs for example.

Decca 101 Cabinet Doors 2

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 27/06/2021 7:19 pm
Page 5 / 5
Share: