Featured
Latest
Coming up soon: an ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

Coming up soon: an exciting new restoration project!

100 Posts
12 Users
21 Likes
13 K Views
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

You've seen the Beau Decca restoration project, well, in due course you'll see another Decca TV restoration project.

Look what I've bought. First of all the cabinet needs some attention, agreed?

DSC08733_1.jpgTill Eulenspeigel.

Posted : 14/08/2017 3:41 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The fore runner of the painted Murphy cabinets from the 60's and 70's, you could set another trend and leave it as it is.bang_gif

Frank

Posted : 14/08/2017 3:53 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi David, so you went and did it 

One thing I can guarantee.... the thread won't get suddenly closed and we'll ignore any heckles to do so.

We are presented with plenty of "standard" restores and repairs, few dare pick up the challenges you set yourself, so full respect for blazing a different and entertaining trail. As the Apple advert said in the 90's "Think Different"

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 14/08/2017 3:57 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

What's that phrase....oh yes, "they who dare" 

Well done David and one charity shop will also be very happy too. 

Let battle commence !

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 14/08/2017 4:02 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your positive replies.  Just can't understand why the UKVRRR ended the topic, anyway, it's their loss. I reckon this will be one fun project, in fact the Lady in the Hospice shop is also interested in what's going to happen to the cabinet.

It's out of the question to rebuild the set as it was, as a projection receiver, so instead the plan is to reconstruct the set into something that resembles the Decca model 101.  In fact like the 101 a Plessey chassis will be employed but not the Mark 1. I do have the main chassis which was removed from a Decca 1000 projection set and that unit will be the basis of the reconstruction project. Essentially, the Decca 101 was a 12" direct view TV in a model 121 cabinet. Model 101 electronics resemble certain Defiant and Regentone receivers.

Just can't wait to scrape off that awful emerald paint.

Except for a direct view CRT the restored cabinet should look like this Decca131.jpg

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 14/08/2017 4:37 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Be interesting to watch the progress of this.

Posted : 14/08/2017 5:39 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Till Eulenspiegel said

DSC08733_1.jpg

How could someone do  that !!  If hideous isn't the word, I can't type the one that is.  It will be one to watch, that's for sure  

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 14/08/2017 5:44 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

PYE625 said

How could someone do that !! If hideous isn’t the word, I can’t type the one that is.

Perhaps to match this, no accounting for taste, Shabby Chic seems to be the in thing with some. 

IMG_1355.JPG

When the coloured Murphy cabinets came out and some other makes had teak sides and top with a black front, I did not like them but they sold well.

I took the girls to an old English type tea shop last week, ice cream and pop for them, at least I had tea and cake. To decorate the room various odd bits of items around including and old Ever Ready battery radio and an old Pye radio both 1940's, minus the works inside of course, just for show. 

Frank

Posted : 14/08/2017 6:19 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Till Eulenspiegel said
Hi Folks,

Thanks for your positive replies.  Just can't understand why the UKVRRR ended the topic, anyway, it's their loss.

Didn't John Wakely ask for it to be closed?

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showpost.php?p=967040&postcount=34

Maybe other posters were just being too condemnatory of the person who 'upcycled' it.

Posted : 14/08/2017 6:20 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Well, the good thing now is that it's in more sympathetic hands, and will be returned to more what it was intended for.

Posted : 14/08/2017 6:37 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

nuvistor said

I took the girls to an old English type tea shop last week, ice cream and pop for them, at least I had tea and cake. To decorate the room various odd bits of items around including and old Ever Ready battery radio and an old Pye radio both 1940's, minus the works inside of course, just for show.   

A tea shop near me has an HMV post-war 'gram (78-only) and it's complete. I ought to offer to restore it in return for a year's worth of tea and cakes smile

Posted : 14/08/2017 6:59 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Cathovisor said

A tea shop near me has an HMV post-war 'gram (78-only) and it's complete. I ought to offer to restore it in return for a year's worth of tea and cakes smile  

I think you would need a willing assistant on 'profit share' grin_gif

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 14/08/2017 7:14 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Honorable Member Registered

A fascinating project indeed. The square CRT area looks remarkably upto date, appears a squared up CRT could be fitted here.

Funnily enough the cabinet sort of reminds me of the Decca CTV22 for some odd reason.

What was done to the original interior can't be undone of course. It's now in the best possible hands so things can only get better.

On a positive front the hideous colour scheme adopted by persons unknown could have frightened woodworm away or killed them in attempting to make contact with it!

Looking forward to hearing more.

Cheers

Brian

Posted : 14/08/2017 7:18 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

PYE625 said

Till Eulenspiegel said

DSC08733_1.jpg

How could someone do  that !!  If hideous isn't the word, I can't type the one that is.  It will be one to watch, that's for sure    

I couldn't verdigris more! - Get it?

These sets always remind of Lady Penelope's (Thunderbirds) television set, though it has to be said, that one was a weird one, because even though were talking about 'model scale' here, it had a slanted mirror set back into the cabinet, such that it was indirect view, but not exactly a mirror lid (no lid). That television set did actually show pictures, though just exactly how they were delivered woul be a matter of conjecture.

If I can find a picture of it, I'll post one for all to see.

It's just a thought, but what if a more conventional late 50's chassis could be mounted with CRT in the vertical position and viewed via a slanted mirror? Not saying it should be done in this instance, but it would be in interesting oddball.

An interesting and brave challenge, David. I for one will be watching this thread.

Now how would a true Geordie put it? "Why man, ye must be crack-az " - Er, will it be ready for the Queen's "Christmas Address"?

Marion

Posted : 14/08/2017 11:03 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Marion's suggestion:  "It’s just a thought, but what if a more conventional late 50’s chassis could be mounted with CRT in the vertical position and viewed via a slanted mirror? Not saying it should be done in this instance, but it would be in interesting oddball."

In fact two TV sets were made in that manner.  Pre-war models Marconi 701 and HMV 902 employed a vertically positioned 9" CRT and the picture was viewed by the internal slanted mirror and though a front mounted magnifier. Later on during the production of the 902 the 9" CRT and it's optics were replaced by a direct view 12" CRT.   Some viewers found that the internal mirror sets were rather unpleasant to watch, said to give sensation of looking down a mine shaft.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 15/08/2017 9:59 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

And here are some of the parts for the electrical restoration of the Decca 121.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Decca101ChassisParts..jpg

Posted : 15/08/2017 1:39 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Till Eulenspiegel said
Marion's suggestion:  "It’s just a thought, but what if a more conventional late 50’s chassis could be mounted with CRT in the vertical position and viewed via a slanted mirror? Not saying it should be done in this instance, but it would be in interesting oddball."

In fact two TV sets were made in that manner.  Pre-war models Marconi 701 and HMV 902 employed a vertically positioned 9" CRT and the picture was viewed by the internal slanted mirror and though a front mounted magnifier. Later on during the production of the 902 the 9" CRT and it's optics were replaced by a direct view 12" CRT.   Some viewers found that the internal mirror sets were rather unpleasant to watch, said to give sensation of looking down a mine shaft.

Till Eulenspiegel.  

Hi David,

Well, that's very interesting, and I think I can understand the 'mineshaft' analogy. I can imagine with an additional magnifier it being a weird sensation. Anyway, I had no idea there were any sets of type - goes to show my lack of breadth of knowledge.embarassed I wonder then, if Lady P's TV was based upon one them.

I must find a picture.

Marion

Posted : 15/08/2017 9:14 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

"I must find a picture.
Marion"

Hi Marion,

No need to as I have an HMV 902 in the shop. It's still undergoing restoration since it was bought it from Gerry Welles in 1988! Actually there is only a few minor jobs to do it now. Last year the correct EMI record deck was found for it and in previous years tasks such as making a proper TV/radio/gram switch have been done.

I'll introduce the 902 on the Forum as a new topic.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 16/08/2017 9:43 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

News Flash!   Collected the cabinet today.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 16/08/2017 4:49 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Till Eulenspiegel said
News Flash!   Collected the cabinet today.

Till Eulenspiegel.  

A flash of green, and the shop-keeper can remove her sunglasses at last   grin_gif

It would look good in the Emerald City of The Wizard of Oz.

Posted : 16/08/2017 6:56 pm
Page 1 / 5
Share: