21 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter

Many many moons ago, I started a home brewed monitor from scratch.

Well, I un-shelved it last weekend... looked at my notes... Wondered what I was on when I came up with some of the circuitry and rebuilt it...

This time I have some results, but I'm struggling to get enough grid modulation. The linearity looks bad , the line is cogging all over the place, but at least it locks.

I need a final video amp to drive the grid. I tried a triode (6n1p, as I have buckets of them), but It smears the video all over the place, and destroys the bandwidth.

Here's the original:

(Can someone post me a link to FAQ to embed these - I've looked and can't get it to work :bbd )

and the picture since the re-build:
Forum 142

I've got my cathode at +100V and presumably need 100 volts of positive going video.

Posted : 25/02/2014 10:15 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I need a final video amp to drive the grid. I tried a triode (6n1p, as I have buckets of them), but It smears the video all over the place, and destroys the bandwidth.

That'll be a little thing called the Miller Effect.

Use a pentode.

(Can someone post me a link to FAQ to embed these - I've looked and can't get it to work :bbd )

Click on the 'youtube' button in the message composition panel, and in between the tags insert the part of the YouTube URL AFTER the 'v='. It actually tells you this if you hover the mouse pointer on the YouTube button.

Posted : 25/02/2014 10:47 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Can someone post me a link to FAQ to embed these - I've looked and can't get it to work :bbd

I wrote a guide in our FAQ section viewtopic.php?f=45&t=5409 and if you hover the mouse of the youtube button in the post tools you will see a note I left as well which states what to do

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 25/02/2014 11:09 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

Can someone post me a link to FAQ to embed these - I've looked and can't get it to work :bbd

I wrote a guide in our FAQ section viewtopic.php?f=45&t=5409

Ah... I didnt realise we had two FAQs! I was looking in faq.php

I have two buckets of EF91s. I'll field one of those into service. I'm suprised I've got as much bandwidth as I have really, as the grid is currently driven from 1 6n1p. Its when I add a second it all goes to pot...

Posted : 25/02/2014 11:14 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Ah... I didnt realise we had two FAQs! I was looking in faq.php

That probably explains why nobody reads the very first section on the forum "Please Read First: FAQ's" section :aaj

Posted : 25/02/2014 11:17 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

Last night I created a simple EF91 video amp, and the results were really good. Switching to test card F, Carole appeared in shades of green, with good line lin, and reasonable frame lin. There was some issue with frame lock, but it wasn't bad... then something went pop, and I've got no video again!

Posted : 28/02/2014 9:57 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

Now I've got the keracolor out of the way, this thing keeps staring at me from the back of the bench.

I found out what had gone pop, it was a zener I use to hold the cathode of the CRT steady. I've sacked it and put a decoupled potential divider in from HT to hold the cathode at about 100V. My original spec was to have no semiconductor junctions in the thing. I have relented, as my EHT is rectified by a grain of sand, as I can't float the heaters on my original EZ80, and I compromised it's H/K insulation.

I've now rebuilt both video stages using EF91s. I've got pots of good video available at the grid of the CRT.

I have been plagued by some line sync issues. The vertical sync sep is locked solid, but it's not so easy with the line. Video kept breaking through and causing false syncing. I've added two simple CR filters to the horizontal sync, which has cleaned things up no end.

I've also added a simple audio amp. An ECL83, driving a 9v mains TX backwards as the OPT. Seems to work surprisingly well.

There's some sort of line fold-over in the line section, as evident in this video, and I could use some pointers, but on the whole, I'm really very pleased with it.

Posted : 22/03/2014 11:06 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Excellent work Andy, the pause for thought and rebuild has certainly paid off :aad

Any chance of a few pics of the underside and perhaps a circuit. There was a discussion a few moths ago about a simple TV build, I think this certainly qualifies.

P.S.

You have a great presentation style and I enjoy your vids so keep up the great work.

Chris

Posted : 23/03/2014 12:06 am
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Hi Doz,

Just wanted to second Chris's point about presentation style. Very good, informative and entertaining too, I really enjoyed watching, Thanks for taking the time to do the videos :aad

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 23/03/2014 12:12 am
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace

Excellent work, Doz. Neat construction AND it works!!!

Forum Memorial

Posted : 23/03/2014 9:43 am
IJK2008
(@ijk2008)
Reputable Member Registered

Magic!

Would also like to see the circuits.

Cheers

Ian

Posted : 23/03/2014 6:14 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

Thanks for all the positive comments. I'll start on a circuit diagram tonight.

Posted : 23/03/2014 6:26 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

I'm puzzled by your sync problems - there should be no difficulty getting perfect, unadulterated sync from a single valve sync separator. As you are using grid modulation for the CRT the video will be the wrong way up for feeding direct to a conventional sync separator, so perhaps the take-off point you are using isn't hitting it hard enough?

Obviously the video quality will be improved when you add flyback blanking but it looks to me as if the video is either severely compressed or the HF response if very poor (which could be part of the sync problem) - or both. Perhaps it's easier to see 'in the flesh' ...?

You've done wonders with it so far, Andy. With a little tweaking I'm sure you can turn it into a miracle!

Some scope waveforms of the sync/video could be instructive ...

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 23/03/2014 6:43 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

Schematic as promised. Audio not included.

Posted : 28/03/2014 11:00 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

Just spotted there's a cathode bypass cap drawn the wrong way round, rest assured it's -ve to gnd.

*UPDATED* now. Why is it you stare at something for hours to make sure it's ok, and then as soon as you publish it, you find errors.

I've changed the diagram above now... it's correct ...

.... for the moment.

Posted : 28/03/2014 11:09 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

My edit didn't appear to work. Let's try again.

Posted : 28/03/2014 11:24 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

And the fugly construction...

Forum 145

Posted : 28/03/2014 11:35 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Honorable Member Registered

I think it looks beautiful, much prettier than a printed circuit board any day! :aap

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 30/03/2014 5:32 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

It looks nice and shiny.
Are the cases aluminum or ABS? I know they did or still do them in that style in both materials.

Posted : 30/03/2014 6:44 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

The cases are aluminium. They're from scrap marine satellite transceivers I used to service.

Posted : 31/03/2014 10:00 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: