Notifications
Clear all

Disappearing TV sets

slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

Reading Chris's thread on the GEC 2112 I thought about how many solid state GECs I used to see in the late 70's early 80's, one or two a day most days. The rental disposal outlets were full of them. then suddenly they seemed to disappear within a year or so.
The same seemed to happen with the hybrids one minute we were using lots of valves, then with the exception of the odd ITT most of the hybrids had gone.
As a comparison for instance the G11 seemed to be around for ever and was still a regular sight well into the early 1990's. Other makes seemed to thin out slowly, the write off slowly increasing as the sets got older.
It's not something I noticed at the time or thought about... Is it just me :aal or do others thought the same about certain makes and models?
Rich.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/04/2015 12:51 am
Studio263
(@studio263)
Member Deactivated Account

For me its the Thorn 9000, the shop used to be full of them but I've not seen a whole one for ages. The model we had the most of was the standard push button one with 6(?) slim silver buttons at the top and three sliders in s strip below, the tuning controls were behind a door at the back. Oddly they put the focus control on the back as well, even though you never needed to touch it.

We aslo had 9000s (possibly 9200s?) with the same tube as the Philips KT3 in them, they looked much like the normal sets from the front but had "Ferguson AX" written on the pop-out drawer where the tuning wheels are. These were rare even at the time though, but the normal ones were EVERYWHERE. All the 9600s seem to have gone too, I find this odd as they were by far the most durable of the pre-TX models.

This is probably the fate of all bread 'n butter sets, they get used until they wear out (or something better comes along) and then they disappear. You might hoard a Sony Profeel or a Beovision 8902 when you get a new set but a worn out Ferguson is another matter.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/04/2015 9:42 am
ianj
 ianj
(@ianj)
Member Deactivated Account

The philips g8 seemed to go on for a long time, in the early 90s repairs were still going on here and there

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/04/2015 12:04 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Yep, I retubed one in the 90's.

All I could get was a Thorn Newlife... didn't it spit and crakle..!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/04/2015 12:15 pm
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

During, the 70's & 80's company's like Tritel & colourcare to name but two used to export lots of ex rental sets , I remember using these outlets as a supply of ex rental sets to sell or rerent & Speaking to some of the guys working at these places they also broke up sets for the crts to supply the regunning industry .
Personally I believe this is why we don't have many of these sets around now

Chris

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/04/2015 8:45 pm
neil1974
(@neil1974)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

Well the 9000's have not all disappeared :qq1 . I've got a 3722 which is minus it's back cover and tuner panel :aaj . and i also have another 9000 which has it's tripler missing. and then theres a 9600 which also has a missing tripler and last but not least theres a 9800 which looks as though it's been at the bottom of a lake for 20 years :aak .

Cheers
Neil.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/04/2015 11:32 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered

and last but not least theres a 9800 which looks as though it's been at the bottom of a lake for 20 years.

You mean the picture is a little watery?

(I'll get me coat).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/04/2015 12:14 am