9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
VintageRob
(@vintagerob)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter

Evening all.....

A very nice lady popped into the shop last week. In her car boot was this very dusty Bush TV53 that she remembered from her childhood, found in her mothers loft.
I parted with a few quid and relieved her of it!
'I must not start looking at this' I said to myself....HAHA!!
An hour later, after I had finished a customers Philips reel to reel with bl**dy rubber rot, I just had to plug in the Bush!

So. Here are a few pictures with captions of some of the restoration.
I have included a few of component replacement. I thought it may help new comers to the hobby to see what we do.

ttt:

Posted : 03/09/2014 10:07 pm
VintageRob
(@vintagerob)
Topic starter

A quick look in the back....ahh what is this doing in here!
The tube was glowing like a light bulb..about 13 Volts on the poor old bugger!! Someone had fitted a transformer and this resistor to boost the old gal...she was holding in but a quick look on the tester shoed NOTHING at 6.3V. so, i cracked it up a bit and got some output at 12.6V but I knew I would have to replace it if it was going to be viable.....so off to the tube store for a replacement.

Posted : 03/09/2014 10:24 pm
VintageRob
(@vintagerob)
Topic starter

You will see the blue varnish on the joints. We do this to help us see who has repaired the set in the future, I am blue and Colin (my other technician) in bright red! It really helps when you have a leaky brain like mine and over 100 sets to keep maintained and keep in tip top condition! :cca

Posted : 03/09/2014 10:40 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Nice old tellies, these "53's".. I have two, and both are keen and eager to work, even before any serious restoration - indeed, they both offered sound and vision just as soon as the variac had been wound up enough the get the HT flowing.

Did you find a spare CRT?

Marion

>>> EDIT <<<

Ah, so you did. :aad

What's the sound like on this set? On mine, they were both low in volume, and distorted.

They do scrub up quite well, don't they?

Marion

Posted : 03/09/2014 10:41 pm
VintageRob
(@vintagerob)
Topic starter

Hi Marion.

Yes she was blasting out with 400hz tone soon after she was switched on....I loved restoring her!

I did have a spare tube, the other was completely knackered!

Cheers
Rob

Posted : 03/09/2014 10:46 pm
VintageRob
(@vintagerob)
Topic starter

Sound is fab Marion.....did you check the speaker?? They suffer the same as DAC90 cones...the suspension glue drys up and they flap around in the breeze!! They can be fixed with a little glue. :qq1

Posted : 03/09/2014 10:51 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Nice job Rob :aad

I have a couple or more Bush (TV22,24,T67 & T135) sets to sort here over the next few months, hope I have as much luck with mine as you've had with that cracking TV53. :)

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 03/09/2014 11:09 pm
Tazman1966
(@tazman1966)
Reputable Member Registered

Nice tidy work Rob and a smashing picture too.

Posted : 05/09/2014 11:16 am
VintageRob
(@vintagerob)
Topic starter

Thanks all.
I'll get some more pictures of the completed set inside next week.

Cheers

Posted : 05/09/2014 8:54 pm
Share: