Notifications
Clear all

Ekco T344 plus another one

Page 12 / 12

Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

@crustytv

I think the difference between our points of view on replacing known troublesome parts is that those in the trade were brought up to reduce call backs. Has a hobby it doesn’t matter as much, there is usually another set to watch if the repair fails and yes you get to learn about the circuits involved.

Call backs reduced profit and the set and service depts reputation was affected.

So my point of view is it’s your set, you are doing the job so it gets done your way.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/01/2021 12:56 pm
helloekco
(@helloekco)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @crustytv

...this thread will now serve to help all those that follow in your footsteps. So, another thumbs up for adding to the Vrat pool of knowledge 👍 

If I've achieved that, I'm very happy!

Posted by: @crustytv Not me, personally I would leave them. If and when they fail, they will present symptoms on screen, thus teaching you even further about their function in the circuit. Then you can replace them why throw away an opportunity to learn.

Thank you, that's good enough for me 🙂 .

I completely understand the opposite attitude when it comes to carrying out repairs for a paying customer; who will a customer choose the next time - the person who saved them a few pounds, or the person who fixed something for good?

I couldn't have done any of this without the help of everyone who replied on this forum, thank you everyone! This forum is something special.

This weekend I will hopefully get the TV back in its cabinet; although I can't decide whether to tackle the scratches to the veneer first. I wish it was warmer outside for that.

I'll be back with photos of the finished product!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/01/2021 12:31 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @helloekco

I completely understand the opposite attitude when it comes to carrying out repairs for a paying customer; who will a customer choose the next time - the person who saved them a few pounds, or the person who fixed something for good?

Those of us who've been in this hobby for longer than they care to remember will recognise this as the approaches of Bruce Adams versus Chas Miller, both now departed; Chas took the minimalist approach, whilst Bruce would do the lot to avoid comebacks. They used to rib each other in the pages of The Radiophile about it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/01/2021 12:47 am
helloekco
(@helloekco)

Well here is the 'finished' (is there such a thing?!) article:

Photo 31 01 2021, 22 21 38
Photo 06 02 2021, 20 24 01
Photo 31 01 2021, 22 50 27

I didn't end up doing much to the cabinet, as a little beeswax polish hid all but the worst of the veneer scratches (on top, not visible in those pictures). It looks as though something heavy has been on top of the TV at some point as the lacquer is cracked in a few places, but overall it's still glossy and presentable so I don't want to strip it down (as someone once said to me on the subject of classic cars "a car is only original once"). You might also notice that the screen surround isn't the best; it looks as though it's suffered at some point in the past when the screen has been separated from the front cover - the well-known problem with the foam around the plastic turning to a strong adhesive. My other set, yet to be started, has a much better plastic surround, but the cabinet on that one is going to require stripping down - I intend to make a lot more of the cosmetic aspect of that repair, assuming the set turns out to be repairable of course.

I have a couple of things I might do at some point - apply foam cleaner to the speaker cloth, and try to polish the 'EKCO' badge. It's completely tarnished - I've managed to remove a little of this but I stopped as I'm unsure what the original finish would have been like (were the raised bits painted?).

I have a question for anyone familiar with this set - how do the locking catches on the back cover engage? The metal brackets are too narrow for the frame of the cabinet and I can't see any notches anywhere.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/02/2021 9:09 pm
Lloyd and Nuvistor liked
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

@helloekco
Looks good, can’t remember how the catches worked.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2021 10:58 pm
helloekco liked
helloekco
(@helloekco)

Thanks @nuvistor!

I'm thinking that the back mustn't be the original one for the cabinet, unless I'm being really stupid and not seeing something obvious...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/02/2021 12:58 am
Page 12 / 12