226 Posts
13 Users
3 Likes
20.6 K Views
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Ooops, it seems I am now the new owner of this set. I placed a bid on ebay and won it for £52. Was not expecting to be successful to be honest.

Am quite excited now and will be arranging to go and collect it as soon as is practical. Here is the ebay picture for now....

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600-1.jpg

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 23/02/2017 8:43 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Always liked this series T344 T370 etc, I think they changed over to a printed circuit 'IF' sometime in the series, the Frame stage was already one. Capable of an excellent picture, shame about the LOPTX casing but they did get it right in the end.

Most faults fixed in the home and not that many of those, got a S/H for for my parents in the middle 60's and it lasted till the middle 70's when they got a CTV.

That one looks immaculate, perhaps its like that inside as well. I would have expected the back to at least be a bit crumbly but just mint. Has it ever been switched on and does it have its original cardboard box.

Frank

Posted : 23/02/2017 9:20 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

That's a very smart looking set Andrew, thumb_gif 

Look forward to seeing more soon.

Marc. 

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 23/02/2017 9:23 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

I had the earlier 21" 'flat faced' model in the early to mid 1970s - with VHF/FM radio. It was one of the most reliable sets I ever owned, and after a little tinkering, one of the most sensitive tuners I ever had - everything from our local transmitters at Holme Moss and Emley Moor, all the way out to Winter Hill, Lichfield, Sutton Coldfield, and Belmont.

Brilliant set, and as it happens, I have a 17" Dynatron model with near identical chassis, that Marc gave me just before Christmas. Maybe one of next sets to see some attention. Once again thought - 'EHT tray ist tot'.....

Posted : 23/02/2017 9:42 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

I hope it is as good on the inside as it is on the outside, time will tell.....hmm_gif

Just need to locate some service data now for some bedtime reading. 

Posted : 23/02/2017 9:45 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Katie_Bush said
 Once again thought - 'EHT tray ist tot'.....  

Eh?  duno_gifgrin_gif

Posted : 23/02/2017 9:47 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Ah, okay........ "EHT tray ist tot' German for "EHT tray is dead" as in the plastic tray that hosts the EHT rectifier 'ist kaput'...innocent

Posted : 23/02/2017 9:57 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Thanks lol, it's late.

Well, it looks like the T370 is the same as the T368 series but is equipped with FM radio.

Posted : 23/02/2017 10:00 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I think the T368 is in the Library and they are very similar.

Frank

Posted : 23/02/2017 10:02 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered

Very nice indeed! It looks identical to my T368, there was a thread on it's progress back on the old VRAT forum. Excellent set, the picture was really good, I did seem to suffer some weird effects on the picture that I didn't get round to ironing out, but I thought could have been caused by the lack of a Metrosil, as mine was missing. Your set really does look like it's just left the factory!

Regards,

Lloyd.

Posted : 24/02/2017 12:11 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The T368 series with the bowed front and very small cabinet look really good, puts these modern flat screen monsters to shame. 

Some of the cabinet designs of sets from the late 50's to early 60's have a look that I like and a screen size that doesn't dominate the room.

Lets hope this sample is as good inside as out.

Frank

Posted : 24/02/2017 7:29 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Well next Friday will be the day I pick up the set, so it will be a voyage of discovery.

Here is Lloyd's adventure on the old forum...

http://www.forum.radios-tv.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8711&hilit=ekco+t368

Posted : 24/02/2017 7:43 am
freya
(@freya)

I have the ERT trader sheet for this if you would like a copy, I found I need this specifically for the T370 as quite a few component changes were made between it and the T368 series.

Already got the T368, T368F and the T370 in my Ekco collection but the T370 is my favourite choice.

The easiest way to service the components on the chassis is to remove the CRT, made easy by Ekco using just the rimband clamp and neck clamp. The scan coils remain in situ on the chassis but its a good idea to give further support with a cable tie.

Posted : 24/02/2017 8:05 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

freya said
I have the ERT trader sheet for this if you would like a copy, I found I need this specifically for the T370 as quite a few component changes were made between it and the T368 series.

Hi Freya, thanks for the kind offer and useful tips. It would be great if you could upload a copy for the library. I guess Chris is the man for that. I have found data in the 1960/1 book of radio and television servicing, page 317. 

rsz_img_2568.jpgrsz_img_2570.jpgrsz_img_2569.jpg

Posted : 24/02/2017 5:56 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

On the UKVRRR there is a thread about  a T345, an earlier version of the T370. The TV/FM switch has a burnt out section. Worth checking on this set when you get the back off it. 

Frank

Posted : 24/02/2017 6:11 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Thanks for the info Frank.... I'll have a gander wink

Posted : 24/02/2017 6:22 pm
freya
(@freya)

I recon the TV/FM switch fails because of the buildup of muck and dirt, coupled with grease it eventually starts arching in a very tiny way but gradually builds until the switch destroys itself. The reason I say this is from watching closely on a dirty switch when it changed over you can see much more of a flash as the heater voltage changes over (switch SW1F).

Same switch cleaned with Servisol creates almost visible spark at all.

It should be mentioned though the layout of said switch is different on the T370 compared with the T345-T368 series

I have emailed the sheet to Chris.

Posted : 24/02/2017 9:03 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

freya said

I have emailed the sheet to Chris.  

Many thanks Stephen, received the ERT sheet and it now resides in the library. I'm sure Andrew and others will find that of great use when his repair gets underway.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 24/02/2017 10:22 pm
colourstar
(@colourstar)
Honorable Member Registered

Several years ago I had a very similar Ekco which I think was the T377. The cabinet was identical apart from the fact that it used one of the new 19" crts (squeezed in) in place of the older 17". Never seen one since!

Steve

Posted : 25/02/2017 12:13 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi all,

Just got back home after a wet trip to collect the set, took me about four hours in total so a nice run out for the car. 

LOPT looks to be not too bad, but someone's nicked the 'flippin tuner cover. Why do I always seem to get an Ekco with a missing tuner cover? doh_gif

Pic's to follow shortly.

Posted : 03/03/2017 1:00 pm
Page 1 / 12
Share: