EKCO T380

5 Posts
3 Users
12 Likes
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

This set for me was something a bit different as I usually collect only Pye & GEC sets with the odd other make kicking around ,you know how it is oohi I quite like the look of that set & before you know it you’ve got quite a collection 

its a EKCO T380 ,now I’m might be wrong here but it could be one of the last true EKCO sets before the pye invasion , it certainly looks all EKCO with the typical plastic type lopt housing.

the set uses 3 printed Circuit Boards the left hand one contains the I/F video & sound output, the top pcb contains the line osc & frame time base while the right hand pcb has the line output & boost valves .

I wasn’t going to do a blanket change of all the wax capacitors but as I started to replace ones like the boost cap & mains filter I soon had a change of mind finding the all way out of tolerance.

checking around the resistors found nothing greatly out of spec apart from one in the video circuit a 330 ohm (r39) in the cathode of the video output. The 2 meg focus preset had to be replaced too as this was open circuit.

The tuner had to be stripped & cleaned 

Apart from reglueing the cabinet back together & a thorough clean nothing major had to be done . The crt was tested & was found to have excellent emmition I found this a surprise being a Mazda CME1901 I usually find these crts flatter than a pancake 

after testing & a general setting up nothing else was done.

4B2E6629 DB8F 48DB 9278 5564B325DBBA
34CE9AD1 CD54 4005 8BEA B3564CC9975B
708ED21A 5F14 463D 9B21 D8FF21251903

Posted : 10/03/2019 3:46 pm
Nuvistor, PYE625, Nuvistor and 3 people reacted
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

A nice set indeed and it certainly looks all Ekco engineered.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 10/03/2019 4:19 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I didn’t see many of these, in between the T368/370 and the T418, there may have been a model with T40x but I don’t remember. 

This was time when set makers were making ‘convertable’ sets as opposed to fully dual standard like the T418, albeit that in some cases the T418 required a UHF tuner. I am not sure if the T380 was classed as convertible, it would have been a major job to convert it and very expensive.

This would have been their first set with a PCB for the signal circuits, the line and frame were already PCB in earlier sets.

It’s  a good picture, typical of sets of that era.

Frank

Posted : 10/03/2019 5:23 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

A good thing I noticed is that the plastic frame holding the EHT rectifier is in great condition. They have been known to degrade and fall to bits.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 10/03/2019 9:42 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I am a member of the local U3A in Greater Manchester and talking to another member one day she said she came from Southend “ you have probably not heard of the company but all my family worked at Ekco in Southend”. Couldn’t resist, you mean  E.K. Cole Ltd. 

Her family helped to make the radio and TV’s we collect.

Frank

Posted : 10/03/2019 10:08 pm
The_Teleman, PYE625, The_Teleman and 3 people reacted
Share: