Faulty intermittent sound

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account
Topic starter

We have a sound fault on our small Wharfedale tv combi. The speaker sound goes off intermittently .Any ideas as to what the problem is? I've put an ext speaker in the ear phone socket for now thats seems ok.
I don't have the model no at the moment as the repairer has it .

David

Posted : 31/07/2013 9:45 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

It may be L15T11WC

David

Posted : 31/07/2013 10:07 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

most likely suspect is the earphone socket its self.
rob t

Posted : 31/07/2013 10:24 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

most likely suspect is the earphone socket its self.
rob t

But the ear phone socket works when the tv speaker doesnt

pic not mine but the same as our tv.
David

Posted : 31/07/2013 10:29 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

the earphone socket has a switch which turns off the internal speaker (a bit of springy metal) the fact that it works ok with something plugged into the socket only leaves the socket or the speaker its self
rob t

Posted : 31/07/2013 10:38 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Ok .If its the socket, what's the part number? Are they still available?

David

Posted : 31/07/2013 11:08 pm
neil1974
(@neil1974)
Honorable Member Registered

I've had a similar problem with my beko 28" set for years. the left channel disappears and will only come back when I turn the volume up loud :ccf . cheers,Neil.

Posted : 01/08/2013 1:12 am
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Ok .If its the socket, what's the part number? Are they still available?

David

Hi David,

If it's the normal type of socket you should just be able to clean the contact with a squirt of switch cleaner and all should be fine :aad

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 01/08/2013 1:25 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Just to clarify things. The internal speaker was intermitantly going off.It was then i decided to use the siocket to get sound from an extra exteral speaker in which case iam told also has a switch to switch off the speaker.It dose not give a readone as to why the fault accured to the internal speaker to start with as the ext socket was at the time not used.
David

Posted : 01/08/2013 6:28 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

The external socket is used all the time to connect the internal speaker. If the switch in the socket doesn't work properly, the internal speaker will be dead.

Does this help?

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 01/08/2013 6:59 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

One common cause for faulty sockets of this type is if the earphone gets damaged by tripping over it. When this happens replacing the now bent plug into the socket will soon after several uses bend the switch and in most cases kill the internal speaker all together or occasionally make it intermittent.
Quite a lot of these sockets can be fixed if you work under a magnifier.

Posted : 01/08/2013 9:57 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks guys that make it clearer for me.It looks possable for me to look at so ill get it back and have a look.
unless you advise me not to on health and safety resones being unexperianced ?
David

Posted : 01/08/2013 10:59 pm
davegsm82
(@davegsm82)

I thought I'd seen the last of these sets!

There is a known problem with the speakers on them, they intermittently fail O/C. I must have repaired about 10 of the damn things, usually I had to scavenge speakers from other dead sets as they don't seem to be all that common.

Dave.

https://sites.google.com/site/davegsm82/projects/radioputer - A BC5441 Turned into a Media Centre PC.

Posted : 02/08/2013 8:30 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

I thought I'd seen the last of these sets!

There is a known problem with the speakers on them, they intermittently fail O/C. I must have repaired about 10 of the damn things, usually I had to scavenge speakers from other dead sets as they don't seem to be all that common.

Dave.

If it the spaeker itself ? then how can it be intermitant? surely is either works or it doesnt? I carnt remember how long weve had it but must have been in the early 2000s.

David

Posted : 02/08/2013 9:42 am
davegsm82
(@davegsm82)

Hi David, sorry for taking so long to get back.

Yes, believe it or not it was the speakers that used to fail, the voice coil would go O/C, sometimes intermittently, a very sharp whack would sometimes make it work again for a bit. usually people didn't notice and the set would limp along with 1 speaker, until that one suddenly failed too which would throw you off the scent.

I seem to remember these sets aren't that old, perhaps mid to late 2000's actually, its been a while and I've tried to forget them the best I can! Saying that, my finacée has one in her office which no doubt the speakers will fail as soon as she starts using it.

Dave.

https://sites.google.com/site/davegsm82/projects/radioputer - A BC5441 Turned into a Media Centre PC.

Posted : 05/08/2013 11:36 am
Share: