Ferguson golden glide

12 Posts
8 Users
27 Likes
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

I recently took delivery of a long awaited set , the last time I saw one of these I was a teenager and that’s a very long time ago 

The set is a Ferguson golden glide model 4606 a 17” 405 only set from 1960 

the set is in good condition considering it’s age 

the restoration will start as soon as I can clear a spot on the bench so for the moment here are a few pictures to wet your appetite

cheers 

Chris 

3F22BE43 503D 4C7C A507 E93B2A2FB8D2
C30682FD 8A7D 47CC AD0A FB2AA2721D88
EF5FACEF 12B0 4C68 9A15 4F6FB61E0593
4BDEF194 4514 46D1 ACD9 9D09458C6739
C41B5BFB 7BE1 465F B28A 4524074DE6B8

Posted : 22/02/2020 11:52 am
Jayceebee, Nuvistor, PYE625 and 6 people reacted
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

I have the consolette version of this, but in mine the tuner has been re-rigged to switch via a knob sticking out of the top of the cabinet, the "glide" mechanism no longer being extant.

Nice sets!

Posted : 22/02/2020 12:05 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

A nice set....looking forward to reading about it. ? 

The PY33 needs the air sucking out of it, or a replacement could be a bit easier. ? 

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 22/02/2020 12:42 pm
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Honorable Member Registered

Hi Chris, your golden glide looks in good condition. I'll look forward to your restoration of it. ?

Posted : 22/02/2020 4:41 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

For those with access and interested, the service data for the 606T, now resides in the data library. ? 

Interestingly the data states that only the 21" 608T was known as the "Golden Glide", This is further reiterated below the photo example on page 2.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 22/02/2020 5:14 pm
Red_to_Black, Nuvistor, Red_to_Black and 3 people reacted
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

I like the "golden glide" tuning arrangement, coupled with a fireball tuner, quite a clever bit of engineering in itself. The sound is also muted when changing channels. Certainly differening from the normal switched turret tuner arrangements in most other makes.

At first glance I thought the set had twin loudspeakers, but the circuit show's only one (L29).

Posted : 23/02/2020 10:44 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Another thing that caught my attention in the data was that under "Associated Models", it states that the portable version (646T) may have either a PCL82 or a PCL87 for V12.

I never knew of such a valve as the PCL87. Or is it just a mis-print?

Posted : 23/02/2020 11:00 am
colourstar
(@colourstar)
Honorable Member Registered

Wonderful to see one of these again. I'm surprised at how very rarely they turn up, assuming they were reasonably popular in their day. I reckon they still look really stylish now. Many years ago I had the 4636 which looked identical, but had VHF radio- and not just set positions for (H)ome, (L)ight and (T)hird, as was fairly common, but a proper full-width continuous tuning scale. The centre thumbwheel in the control panel was the radio tuning knob. The TV/Radio switch was on another thumbwheel at the other end opposite the tv fine tuner (it's all coming back to me now!)

The 'Golden Glide' TV tuning was accomplished by a system of pulleys laced with a steel wire. For dealers there was a promotional card which included a small cardboard ballerina figure that could be attached to the sliding tuner knob, giving a bit of emphasis to the Golden Glide concept.

The set currently in our Marion's custody (which came from me via Marc!) has the same recessed Golden Glide control panel. That one is a large consolette and must have been one of the first on the UK market with a 23" crt (twin-panel type made by Sylvania).

Really looking forward to seeing how Chris' set comes back to life. There will be lots of cracked black Hunts caps to change but I bet the crt is good- these 17" 110 tubes seem to last very well (hope I've not just jinxed it!)

Steve ? 

Posted : 24/02/2020 4:39 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

I'll second the comment on those "Oribble Unts" duramold caps!

Posted : 26/02/2020 8:11 pm
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

@pye625 yes the manual states the PCL87 too  I remember seeing on way back in my youth they were always replaced (when faulty )with a PCL82 

I remember a local tv shop scrapping one of these because he couldn’t get the sound to work 

I bought the set off him as a scrap set for 10 shillings (50p) took it home and found a PCL86 in place of the PCL87 so I replaced it with a PCL82 and the sound was restored 

I made the mistake of telling the tv shop owner that I fixed the set , then he stopped me buying any more scrap sets off him …. I suppose that serves me right 

Posted : 10/05/2022 9:31 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

PCL87 is a valve a don’t remember coming across, I couldn’t find any information in the valve data books I looked at and Frank Philipse Pocnet site doesn’t have any data.

What was special about the valve? Ferguson must have had a reason for using it, could it have been an import from USA due to shortages and a Electron number given to it? 

Ferguson did have some sort of commercial ties in the USA.

Which chassis does the TV12 use, the early 11u with PCF80 vision IF or the later with a different RV number that used an EF184? The channel selector knob looks very similar to those used on the Ferranti models with the Philips tuner using PCB “biscuit” coils.

apologies, so many questions.

Frank

Posted : 10/05/2022 11:21 am
Visconol
(@visconol)
Active Member Registered

I’ve recently bought one of these from a fellow collector, but I’ve yet to pick it up.   The tuning arrangement is certainly different from the usual run of the mill sets available at the time. 

I wonder if the additional production costs associated with the mechanism controlling the fireball tuner were worth it?   It think it’s a more satisfying way to select a channel. 

Simon. 

Posted : 06/08/2022 7:48 am
Share: