Notifications
Clear all

GEC 23" dual standard.

slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

Hi This is the GEC TV I put an appeal in parts wanted for a back cover. Well thanks to Chris (the_tellyman) for supply and to Mike ( Cathovisor ) for delivery, I now have a perfect fit! It needed a little trimming to fit the bottom of the cabinet, all the holes align in the right places! A big thanks to Chris for this I never thought I would get one for a moment!
I ran the set for a while when Mike was here and the lopt overwind got very hot quite quickly. I suspected problems with the lopt when I had run the set previously a while back as cracks in the overwind had got bigger and the width had started to shrink.
This time there was no doubt, the cracks had widened more, the winding was hot and smelt of burnt paper. The picture ballooned and vanished as the brightness was advanced.
I had a spare lopt for a single standard GEC so I swapped the overwind and refitted the lopt with it's original primary. This restored the picture and the width to a degree but the picture was distorted one side, the plastic of the scancoils had degraded badly the shift magnets were hanging loose and the coils were on the verge of falling apart.
I fitted a replacement set I had (these were a lucky find that came free with a tube some time back) That restored the width and the general shape of the picture no end.
The frame linearity is not too good at the moment But the picture is not too bad, the tube is getting better by the minute...
Some pictures, the broken bits are the charred remains of the original overwind.
:thumb
Rich.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/04/2015 6:13 pm
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)

Hi Rich, Brilliant ! It's nice to see that the back cover fitted , I have the 19 inch version of this set when they are running the picture quality is very good . Watch out for the red hunts capacitors they can double the original value .

Chris

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/04/2015 11:47 pm
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)

double in value? That sounds very odd. If you measure a leaky cap on a or Peak etc tester it may appear to read high. It will measure correctly on a bridge though you may get a very poor null due to the leakage.

I think we all know what I mean Jeffrey , either way it's still faulty . I didn't for one moment think anyone on this forum wouldn't know what I was getting at .
I was actually expecting someone to come back with the remark of "oh good something that's gone up in value (in money terms ) "

Chris

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/04/2015 9:48 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

Something odd happened to my last post. d m m (without the spaces) got converted into a smiley which makes it it read very oddly. I was writing on my phone which is the excuse for not doing caps: DMM

The BBCode for the multimeter smiley doesn't seem to be preceded by a colon like many of the others...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/04/2015 10:47 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

...The BBCode ....

I read that as the BBC ode :) With apologies to Cyril Fletcher.

:aaj

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/04/2015 10:53 pm