6 Posts
6 Users
15 Likes
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

This  set has been on my list of sets to do for about 2 years now 

It’s a GEC Electra 2001 19 inch dual standard from about 1964, the set is fitted with the 2000 series chassis, it took me about 30 years to finally obtain this set then done nothing with it until Andrew (pye625) asked for some pictures of the set last week, when I took the photos I wished the set was working so I could of included the pictures of the set working .

The set had some work done in its past life as they all do from this era the dual standard sets never seemed to be the most reliable the work had mostly concerned the timebase panel with various capacitors having been replaced so this just needed a little tidying or so I thought on powering the set up I didn’t expect much I thought the lopt will probably be duff for a start, but the set sprang to life with an almost full raster.

A signal was applied 405 to start with now this is where the fun started , the picture was unstable with what looked like sync crushing so I immediately went to check the sync circuit after a few hours going through the video output & and sync separator stages I couldn’t find anything particularly wrong a couple of high value resistors and that’s about it.

All the voltages were about right the HT line too, time for some serious head scratching here or the scope, I went for the scope. The waveform for the sync separator was there but very noisy jumping all over the place but still couldn’t trace it back to anything particular. All this time I also had no sound so for a break & something a bit less taxing on my poor old mind, I thought I would chase up the sound (easy) on o/c speaker that’s the sound sorted no hum no distortion nice crystal clear sound so back to the sync problem. 

Now all this time I had the chassis in & out & upside down tracing the sync path to no avail then I noticed an electrolytic can strapped to the back of the chassis it is part of the smoothing network  but I have no hum on the sound. Anyway I cut the little can out completely to check it, it’s a 100uf & a 50uf 275 volt in the same can, the 50uf is on the frame circuit while the 100uf supplies the I/f & video / sync circuits. Completely o/c both of them so now I know where the noise was coming from. A replacement completely cured the fault, it’s a bit deceiving when the voltages check out ok but the scope said differently .

4997BC3C 3A2D 40EE 8269 822394624481
1D8E5B3E B115 4346 A1F9 9F3A3F337561
82EFCA2B EBFD 4DF6 A10F A468C8B43672

Posted : 17/03/2019 9:11 pm
Lloyd, crustytv, PYE625 and 6 people reacted
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Well done that man !

Pleased to see the old girl getting some well deserved attention. ? 

Cor blimey....what a great picture !!

Drat, it has made me want one even more now. ? 

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 17/03/2019 9:17 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

It's a very long time since I saw one of those working! Excellent job.

Posted : 19/03/2019 8:14 pm
Boingy
(@boingy)
Estimable Member Registered

Likewise, well done!

It's amazing how well these things turn out sometimes. Cracking little tube there, by the looks.

All the best,

Standards are like toothbrushes. Everybody needs them, but nobody want to use yours!

Posted : 20/03/2019 3:37 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

It is a great picture.

With today’s SD, HD, 4K etc. I  sometimes wonder if there is any more entertainment value in the new formats than we got out of a 19 inch or similar dual standard BW TV.

Appreciate colour does add a lot to certain programmes, not too sure if it’s any help to panel/game shows though.

I will go and hide now and await the brick bats. ? 

Frank

Posted : 20/03/2019 4:03 pm
PYE625, PYE625 and PYE625 reacted
glenz75
(@glenz75)
Estimable Member Registered

Great looking set and in such good condition as well, nice one! ? 

My You Tube Channel for those suffering from insomina - Youtube Glenz1975

Posted : 21/03/2019 11:55 pm
Share: