Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Getting Stuck Knobs Off Shafts.

Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Noble V-Ratter Rest in Peace

I have just laid my hands on another 707 which is in a much better condition than my other one - not half as much rust. However, every silver lining has a cloud and this one is a stuck knob - the TUNER knob which, of course, is the rarest of the knobs, it being the large type with a finger hole to allow rotation using one finger.

I tried drilling out the grub-screw from the hole but it proved too difficult to get the drill to bite. PlusGas didn't help the situation even after 1 week's soak so I had to think of another way. I drilled from the front of the knob in the place where I was likely to find the screw- not easy! Anyway, after numerous drillings I managed to get the screw to snap and the nut to fall out of the hole - YESSSS!

I will now fill the hole in the knob with Lilliput and mold it to shape and fill the old "TUNER" engraving. A visit to an engraver with an identical knob should then result in the filled knob looking like the original component - hopefully.

drilled-Knob-web.jpg

Forum Memorial

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/10/2017 7:35 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Hi Brian,  I've often had to butcher up stuck on knobs.   It just has to be one of the rarest control knobs.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/10/2017 8:42 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

sf_png

I know someone who uses nitric acid for this job. Helps not to have a brass insert in the knob though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2017 5:56 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Brian Cuff said

I will now fill the hole in the knob with Lilliput and mold it to shape ........

I think the Lilliputians might direct you to their neighbouring realm called Milliput grin_gif

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing
Vrat FaceBook: Follow us

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2017 7:36 am
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Noble V-Ratter Rest in Peace

Thanks for the correction, Chris.  I should not have been so lazy and - just o and look at the tube!

Forum Memorial

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/10/2017 3:17 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

Brian, aren't those 'tuner' knobs used on some contemporary HMV radios? I'm thinking the more upmarket ones?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2017 5:07 pm