19 Posts
4 Users
24 Likes
JoanaCSAAD
(@joanacsaad)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi,

I am doing research focusing on the CS17 Pye model. Does anyone have photographs of this model? I am especially interested in the steel legs and how they are attached to the receiver, so I am searching for photographs that show the tv from below. But also any photograph you may have from any other angle/focusing on any other detail, and other relevant information.

Thanks so much,

Joana

Posted : 09/03/2021 3:46 pm
Topic Tags
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@joanacsaad
It doesn’t show the leg install but it’s a good photo.

http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O48612/pye-model-cs17-television-day-robin/

A page with a trade advert.

https://www.thevalvepage.com/oddsod/pyecs17mb/pyecs17mb.htm

Frank

Posted : 10/03/2021 8:35 am
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Honorable Member Registered

It looks to me as though the legs consist of a pair of inverted "U"s with two flat bars welded between them to which the TV is bolted.

Why do I believe this? The shape of the bends that are just visible at the top of the legs and what would constitute a viable design from the point of mechanical stability.

Posted : 10/03/2021 9:29 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

There is a Pye CS17 or CW17 upstairs above the shop. I'll try to retrieve it this week and take pictures of it.  It was last used thirty years ago after a capacitor replacement repair. It is the Robin Day designed model. It was never fitted with legs. The CRT is the 90* Mullard MW43-80, magnet focus type. Set was bought new in 1957. Printed wood grain effect on cabinet.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 10/03/2021 9:28 pm
JoanaCSAAD
(@joanacsaad)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

@till thank you so much! Indeed, the CS17 is the Robin Day designed model. I would be so grateful if you could send me some pictures, especially from the angles that are not usually seen in photographs - from below, behind and from the sides. I am very interested in details (for instance, the info behind the receiver, labels, etc, as well as detailed pictures of the front part and of the materials, lettering and knobs). Do you know if the legs were sold separately, or if the buyer had to assemble them at home?

Also, if by any chance you still have the instruction manual or any other original documentation it would be most helpful to see it.

Again, thank you very much,

Joana 

Posted : 10/03/2021 9:55 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Managed to extract the Pye TV set from the huge pile of stuff in the storeroom upstairs.

The set is indeed a CW17 and is fitted with the 17-21S chassis with two printed circuit boards. The CRT is Pye's own make Cathodeon C17-4A, an equivalent to the Mullard MW43-80. Date of manufacture is confirmed as late 1957.

Pye CW17
Pye CW17 2
Pye CW17 3
Pye CW17 4

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 11/03/2021 11:15 pm
JoanaCSAAD
(@joanacsaad)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

This is wonderful Till, thank you so much! I guess since this is the CW17 and not the CS17 it probably does not have anything below the cabinet on which to attach the legs. Do you know how it was done?

Again, I can't thank you enough, this is really valuable.

All the best,

Joana 

Posted : 11/03/2021 11:30 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @irob2345

It looks to me as though the legs consist of a pair of inverted "U"s with two flat bars welded between them to which the TV is bolted.

Why do I believe this? The shape of the bends that are just visible at the top of the legs and what would constitute a viable design from the point of mechanical stability.

Hi Joana, today, I'll take a picture of the underside of the set in order to determine if there was provision for plates for the attachment of the metal legs. Or, it's possible a special table with the legs attached was available. Either method, it would be a simple matter to make a stand for the set. Simple scale factor will determine the length of the legs.

CW17
CW17 Detail

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 12/03/2021 12:20 pm
JoanaCSAAD
(@joanacsaad)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

@till thanks so much! that would be so useful. My understanding is the CS17 was sold with the legs, and that is the main difference from the CW17, but I am not completely sure.

Posted : 12/03/2021 12:40 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

The underside of the CW17.

CW17 Cabinet Base

It's safe to say that the CS17 cabinet had a different base, likely made from a single piece of plywood with ventilation slots. 

Way back in the days when these sets were in use I never came across the CS17 model on legs. We'll be on the lookout for the original sales brochure. I'm sure there's no such a thing as sales promotion material for TVs anymore.  Unlike the old days of selling TV sets  I doubt if there is any sense of occasion for anyone buying a new flat screen set. 

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 12/03/2021 4:56 pm
JoanaCSAAD
(@joanacsaad)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

@till thanks! Amazing picture, it really helps a lot. I will share with you my findings about this receiver when I finish the research if you're interested. I would be so grateful if by any chance the original sales brochure appears somewhere.

Best,

Joana 

Posted : 12/03/2021 5:16 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @joanacsaad

@till thanks! Amazing picture, it really helps a lot. I will share with you my findings about this receiver when I finish the research if you're interested. I would be so grateful if by any chance the original sales brochure appears somewhere.

Best,

Joana 

Hi Joana, I'll be pleased to share more  information about the set with you and will be on the lookout for sales brochures. The CW17 I've taken pictures was owned by relatives and not the usual junk shop find.  Recently found the sales material for the Pye FV1 which was made in 1951. Come Easter this set will have been in my possession 61 years.

FV1 2
FV1 4

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 12/03/2021 7:56 pm
JoanaCSAAD
(@joanacsaad)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

Sorry to bother you again @till, but I was wondering if you know what is the material of the black panel and knobs of the CW17, and also what material was used for the golden metal details of the knobs and that blade between the panel and the screen.

Thank you so much,

Joana

Posted : 17/03/2021 9:25 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

The black control panel appears to be made from 3mm perspex material. The two large control knobs are standard Pye parts bin types with the exception the outer controls which are painted gold. Material is bakelite.

The metal trim rail is lacquered brass.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 19/03/2021 10:48 am
JoanaCSAAD
(@joanacsaad)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

@till thank you so much!

Posted : 19/03/2021 11:51 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Joana,  I've just learnt that the metal legs are said to resemble a walking frame structure, that is, with two metal bars between the two inverted U shaped legs. It could be assumed that the CS17 and CW17 have the same cabinet construction technique. 

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 19/03/2021 12:15 pm
JoanaCSAAD
(@joanacsaad)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

@till that's great to know, thank you - if by any chance you find someone who has the model or photographs from below please let me know, since I will need to support my findings with images.

Also, I would like to use the photographs you sent me in my research - would that be ok? How should I credit them?

Joana 

Posted : 19/03/2021 12:29 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Maybe next week the CW17 can be brought downstairs and tested in the workshop. 

Till Eulenspiegel. 

Posted : 19/03/2021 12:36 pm
JoanaCSAAD
(@joanacsaad)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

@till that would be amazing to see - if it is not too much work, could you please send me some photographs of the receiver being tested?

Also, I found out that the CW17 and CS17 are the same: they only differ in the veneer finish (the CW has a French Walnut finish and the CS a Japanese Sen). Both could be assembled with the legs, so most likely any element to attach them would come with the legs.

Joana 

Posted : 20/03/2021 12:05 am
Share: