How do you store your spare CRT's...?

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
Alastair
(@alastair)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

Ive only the one spare tube, 22" Ive left it in the cabinet it came in at the moment...

Wondering what other guys do, How do you store yours?

Posted : 21/02/2013 5:33 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered

I have a few stored in the loft.

Posted : 21/02/2013 5:44 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Honorable Member Registered

Hi Alastair,

Half of my spare tubes are in original boxes, the ones that don't have boxes are stored face down on protective padding.
I'm not sure if this is the correct thing to do or not.

Best regards
Jon

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 21/02/2013 5:45 pm
valvekits
(@valvekits)

Mine is in the loft but I suspect that is probably the worse place to keep it for temperature variations.
When I was an apprentice we had an implosion in the used crt store which caused a couple of crt's around it to be taken out. Management reaction was predictable after that and I got the job of making the crt's safe by knocking the the pips off.

Eddie

Posted : 21/02/2013 5:52 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

I have seen this done on You Tube as there is a nipple at the end you twist off with pliers and this lets the vacuum out, You can also swipe the necks of but the first method is better, however I have seen kids smashing TVs up with a brick which is not a good idea. I was talking to David the other day and this subject came up and those early round CRTs are made of thinner glass and can be broken very easy as the neck is the weak point, I have heard they can shower glass everywhere even though they implode, something to handle with care.

Glass can also break because of temperature change ie from cold storage to a warm room, remember in chemistry after heating a test tube and putting it in to cold water, the same thing applies here to. Let them get to room temperature slowly as if its done sudden you could loose a rare hard to replace CRT.

Posted : 21/02/2013 6:10 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

Last time I had to dispose of a tube I picked up a cordless drill and drilled through the EHT connector.
The air rushed in safely.

Posted : 21/02/2013 7:08 pm
neil1974
(@neil1974)

My spare tubes are in the shed :=D 8)) . cheers,Neil.

Posted : 21/02/2013 7:24 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

I have no spare tubes! 8)) :'(

Marion

Posted : 21/02/2013 8:30 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Mine are stored along with the TV's in a spare bedroom. Those which are not boxed get cocooned in bubble wrap an extra thick layer for the face plate and neck protectors attached. I have about 12 stored this way from 21" down to 6".

I think loft and sheds are fine, it's just watching you don't get sudden temperature change. Bringing it in from a freezing shed into a nice toasty house is probably asking for trouble. I have one CRT I got from Mike, (Cobaltblue) it has spent a good number of years out in the garden in the shrubbery.

After careful cleaning and reactivating it came up a treat and sits in the spares awaiting possible use in one of my sets. You can read about its reawakening here.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 21/02/2013 8:57 pm
neil1974
(@neil1974)

And tomorrow ill have one less tube :D as it will be winging it's way to scotland via cardiff :O . cheers,Neil.

Posted : 22/02/2013 10:49 pm
Share: