Forum 141

Identify the TV

46 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

The book gives no indication what the main deck type number is for the flywheel sync models TV84 and TV86.

A160, according to the manual, but this is where I'm getting confused. All the models - TV83, TV84, TV85 and TV86 - have flywheel sync yet the TV84/TV86 use main deck A160, TV83/TV85 use A159. So far the only difference I can see is the mains rectifier and the dropper arrangement (presumably to accommodate the extra two valves in the TV84/TV86)

I really need to get out more... :ccg

Posted : 12/01/2015 1:43 am
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

I thought I'd seen a full list of chassis types versus model numbers somewhere on the web but the only thing I can come up with is this Hungarian site: http://elektrotanya.com/?q=tv-chassis-model&page=1 which doesn't go back enough.

However, it could be useful to anyone landed with something more modern to sort out as there is a helluva lot of re-branding going on out there these days!

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 12/01/2015 11:59 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I thought I'd seen a full list of chassis types versus model numbers somewhere on the web but the only thing I can come up with is this Hungarian site: http://elektrotanya.com/?q=tv-chassis-model&page=1 which doesn't go back enough.

I am very slowly putting together a list of Bush chassis prefixes, but it is a slow process and of course, only covers post war sets.

Posted : 12/01/2015 12:40 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

We have a breakthrough!

I've just taken delivery of a small quantity of Bush/Murphy TV service manuals from eBay: although not cheap, I really wanted them for the manual for the Bush TV81R contained within. Reading the tatty bits of paper, it's a real cheapskate set - the cabinet is described as "...embossed cellulose-finish fibreboard" so most likely for the rental market - I suspect the TV82R was wood(ish).

But, here is the crucial bit;

Electrically the Main Chassis (Type A176) used in this model is similar to that used in the TV75, while the push-button Tuner Unit (Type A162) and Receiver Unit (Type A119) are similar to those used in the TV85.

And indeed, Main Chassis Type A176 does NOT have flywheel sync! The line oscillator is a multivibrator using the triode section of a PCL83 and the PL81.

I have some tasks to do now, but I shall be introducing these to the scanner later....

Posted : 02/02/2015 2:44 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Oh pooh,

Maybe I should have had a pop after all? ...... :aak

Interesting discovery there, Mike, and I wonder how many of these still exist.. I'd certainly agree, it's got a cheap cabinet, and has cheap and nasty yellow "chrome over steel" banding at front and rear, as opposed to the better quality brass (or yellow chrome over copper) on the other models.

I wonder if the chassis has any cheap nastiness lying in wait!

As for being basically the same as the TV75, is that not the same line of text they used for all of these series of sets?

Now, that begs the question - is this actually a TV84? Or just a TV84 back cover stuffed onto a 'TV-whatever'.? Bearing in mind the TV84 chassis on the bay, which was not an A176.

Marion

Posted : 02/02/2015 7:28 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I think we can safely say it is NOT a TV84.

Posted : 02/02/2015 7:59 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: