Interesting old homebrew set on Ebay

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
MongooseDC
(@mongoosedc)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter

I was browsing a certain auction site for old Televisions and monitors and came across this rather interesting homebrew set. 

old homebrew telly

It has the look of a rather ameteurish cabinet. It needs a full overhaul. Perchance there happens to be another CRT for this set of the same type and model, though the locations of the TV and the CRT are different!  It looks quite complete, although some of the CRT masking has gone all manky, so there would be a lot of hard work getting this one to fire up again. Any takers? This is the set for the experienced V-Ratter! It's not for the faint of heart!

It looks like the maker wanted a decent amount of sound out of the set judging by the size of the cone - it actually looks bigger than the screen!

Some of you vintage afficionados might take a look at the pictures taken of the chassis? 

Posted : 22/10/2018 6:35 pm
MurphyV310
(@murphyv310)
Honorable Member Registered

My Dads Viewmaster console was a very tidy set, I saw this one today and it does look rather tatty.

I'm sure I've seen that chassis before and I've the feeling David Boynes has one. Could be well worth saving and sorting out.

Cheers,
Trevor.
MM0KJJ. RSGB, GQRP, WACRAL, K&LARC. Member

Posted : 22/10/2018 7:10 pm
peterscott
(@peterscott)
Honorable Member Registered

Is the Science Museum selling off parts of their collection?

http://collection.sciencemuseum.org.uk/objects/co417011

Peter  ? 

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

Posted : 22/10/2018 8:19 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

They have been for some time. In the railway world a particular storm brewed over the de-accession of an LSWR 'T3' locomotive.

Posted : 22/10/2018 8:46 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: MongooseDC

It looks like the maker wanted a decent amount of sound out of the set judging by the size of the cone - it actually looks bigger than the screen!

You should see the speaker in my Murphy V216C - it's in the order of 12" x 8" with sound quality to rival 'Hi-Fi' of the same period.

Posted : 22/10/2018 9:03 pm
Share: