Kolster Brandes KB 14" Console TV model JF40

32 Posts
6 Users
6 Likes
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account
Topic starter

Hello everyone I have just acquired the above set and hoping someone can advise. The set is in vey good condition and working with a healthy raster it has a side tuning knob and a tuner on the inside which seems to have been added I presume for the start of ITV.

I have an aurora and connected it playing about with the tuner and a vague picture of the test card appears but cannot get a good picture, can anyone please advise me.

Buzby

Posted : 09/10/2018 1:30 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Welcome to the forum Buzby.

I don’t recall seeing one of these but it’s always possible I have. A few photos of the set and the picture displayed, one thing to note is the Aurora has a strong signal so it could be just overloading, lots of other possibilities with an old TV though.

What experience have you with this technology, there are safe ways of working on televisions, if you are knowledgeable with those that’s good, if not we can point you to safe practices.

Frank

Posted : 09/10/2018 1:53 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

You're quite right, your JF40 just missed being a set that was BBC/ITV from the factory so the tuner would be an addition.

The first question I would ask is "has the set been restored in any way?", closely followed by "have you got an attenuator fitted between the Aurora and the TV?" because it will need one - about 18dB should do the trick.

Some photographs of the set in question would help too 🙂

Posted : 09/10/2018 1:53 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I've put the service data in the library for members with access who might like to assist Buzby. The JF40 is based mainly on the HF40 but with the differences detailed at the end of the data. The set is 1953.

p.s

I recently saw one (see below) of these sell on e-bay, looked to be in very good condition, by any chance the same set?

jf40 1
jf40 2

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 09/10/2018 2:19 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks very much for everyones replies, I have no knowledge of electronics and i am wary of the high voltage in these sets. The picture is the set I bought I collected it last saturday from a collector who needed more space he had previously restored the set some years ago to a high standard when switching it on recently he could not get the test card to display properly, and thought the problem was with the add on tuner. A friend of mine who repairs TV's and has a vintage set looked at it today and couldn't get a good picture of the test card. I don't have an attenuator fitted.

Hoping you can help as it seems so close to getting a good picture.

Thanks so much to everyone.

Buzby

Posted : 09/10/2018 5:30 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Your friend who repairs TV’s will hopefully be able to help get it working, from your comment am I correct in thinking you don’t want to repair it yourself?

Photos of what pictures you are getting now are important, we can’t always decide the fault from the picture but it can very often point to the faulty section.

Yes try to get an attenuator, your friend may well have one, useful when fixing TV’s.

The TV uses the live chassis technique so care is required when working on it, plus other high voltages can be stored when switched off.

Frank

Posted : 09/10/2018 5:49 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Hello Frank, my mate who repairs TV's has said he doesn't understand these older sets and really was looking to see if there was  anything obvious. I don't have the skills to work on the TV. I will get an attenuator this morning from a local place they are 20db not 18 I hope the picture comes through ok Im not good on computers !

Regards,

Buzby

IMG_2135.jpgHhh

Posted : 10/10/2018 9:22 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Photograph didn't work if theres an email address I could try that

Posted : 10/10/2018 9:25 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

It looks like you just tried to drag and drop the file into the editor, that will not work.

I prefer not to give out my e-mail address which I'm sure you understand. Also If I did that to every person who did not grasp uploading images, I would end up doing nothing else other than attaching images and enough of my time is taken up with running the site as it is, I hope you understand.

Attaching images is a very simple task requiring very little computer ability, after all you've registered, logged on and made a post, those tasks in the their own right show you can use a computer.  I have created a guide detailing exactly how to upload images. Perhaps you could spend some time reading it. You can find the guide in our FAQ section, the section was specifically designed to assist folk with various aspects of forum functions.

The FAQ Section can be found here

The specific guide for how to attach images is here

Posted : 10/10/2018 10:06 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The 20db attenuator should prove that point.

Your mate, if he can work with modern electronics he can pickup the skills for these devices, just suggest it would be an interesting exercise.

Frank

Posted : 10/10/2018 10:38 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

IMG 2135

Posted : 10/10/2018 12:51 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Frank, I fully understand thanks for the help with attaching files Success !

I have got an attenuator and connected it in line with aurora box it hasn't made any difference.  My mate is very busy with work and simply hasn't got the time or interest in sets this old.

In the picture you can make out the test card It seems to be so close to working I hope the picture helps everyone who has replied i thank everyone.

Regards,

Buzby

Posted : 10/10/2018 1:01 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

There appears to be a number of faults, it would be nice if they were all  due to one thing but I doubt it.

There usually a fine tuner control concentric with the channel selector, have you adjusted that for the most stable picture? Is the channel you are using on the Aurora the same one selected by the tuner?

Going back to Mikes question in an earlier post about restoration work, would it be possible to ask the seller what repair work has been done to the set. There are a number of items that always fail in old TV’s and radios, if those have been replaced with modern components that gives you a chance. The items are paper capacitors, they deteriorate with age, there are obviously other parts that fail but those in a 60 year old set would definitely require replacing.

Frank

Posted : 10/10/2018 1:24 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Frank, yes there is a fine tuning control I have used it but doesn't appear to do anything. Tried every channel on the tv and only one that gives the picture I uploaded the others just give rasta also tried every channel on the aurora again only the one its on gives a hint of testcard. All the capacitors have been replaced 3 out of the 4 knobs on the front have been replaced wiring has been replaced with modern its very clean inside and lots of solder still shiny. It was working well when it was stored unused in a bedroom some years ago, hope this helps

Regards

Buzby

Posted : 10/10/2018 3:16 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hope you don't mind me chipping in.

The way I see it, as you do not have any electronics experience you're unlikely to have any basic equipment such as a multi-meter or an isolation transformer. Coupled with that you've probably never looked at or know how to interpret a circuit and safely take voltage readings.

There's only so much remote advice that can be given before you're going to have to have the back off and do some checks with a meter to assist folk here with diagnostics, even then its going to be difficult. There are many cold checks (not switched on) you can do, it might be a valve partially seated due to the set being moved, an interconnecting wire loose, all unlikely unless you're really lucky.

In all probability you will have to take resistance readings and look for shorts or open circuit resistors, capacitors or diodes to reveal the cause of your problem. However sooner or later you're most likely have to do some basic voltage tests to really isolate the fault. As a group that will make us nervous as we're then advising someone without knowledge to put themselves at risk and us culpable should that advice lead to you hurting yourself or worse.

This is not to say it cannot be done as it can, however its normally carried out because the person asking is eager and wanting to learn Radio/TV repair. They often have at least some basic understanding of electronics and minimum equipment to hand to make a start.

With all that in mind it might be an idea to state what county you're in, the reason being one of our members might be local or at least within reasonable travelling distance to offer hands-on advice or help.

Just my thoughts, you and other folk may disagree.

Posted : 10/10/2018 4:28 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Those were my thoughts, that’s why I was thinking the mate who fixes TV’s may possibly help.

There is not a lot of room in the set to work on, the high voltages, CRT implosion etc etc. Definitely requires some experience. It appears a signal stage problem and could be just poor connection on switches and valves.

You need to think about how you want proceed and get some help, that could be expensive if you have to pay for it, these sets can take up a lot of time.

Frank

Posted : 10/10/2018 4:58 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Well if the firewall Geo locator is reasonably close (its often out though) I think Buzby might be in yours and Mikey66's neck of the woods.

Posted : 10/10/2018 6:05 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

First of all can I thank everyone for their  help with this, I know enough to realise that these sets contain lethal voltages even after being unplugged and left alone for some time. I thank Frank for his advice, and also Chris for summing things up so well, and he is completely correct it is something that needs someone who knows what they are doing.

I am in Stockport Cheshire so if there is anyone who maybe able to help that would be fantastic.

I love the vintage sets and would love to have this working rather than just an ornament.

Thanks again everyone.

Kind Regards,

Buzby

Posted : 10/10/2018 6:55 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

The sad irony here is, I think this set was right on my doorstep not so long ago! If it is the set I think it is, sold on eBay, from a town in North Yorkshire?

From the screen image, I'm inclined toward thinking the signal being received doesn't look like a fundamental but more like a harmonic (of which, the Aurora produces copious amounts). I'm wondering if the tuner's turret is fully populated, and one very basic question, does the set, after the addition of band III, use only the added tuner's AE input socket for all channels, or like some, does it still retain the use of the set's native band I input for the BBC channels? Or in other words, are feeding the correct signals into the correct input?

It's not guaranteed, but if the set has lived in Yorkshire all its life, it would most likely have been tuned to channels 2 (BBC) and 10 (ITA). Of course, if the seller brought the set from further afield, then the foregoing may well not apply.

Posted : 10/10/2018 9:53 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Marion,

It does look like it receiving the wrong channel, Buzby has tried all combinations he can and the original seller had the same problem, the seller having restored the set I thought would have known what channels to use.

The fault appears to be in the signal stages and could well be the tuner but it’s just guess work from me.

From the photo I am trying to decide if the Horizontal hold is way off, two test card circles or is a delayed image due the the fault in the signal stages. Frame hold appear good.

Without proper bench time it won’t be easy.

Frank

Posted : 11/10/2018 7:07 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: