From youtube:

... e=youtu.be

Lots of roundies and other old TVs.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 24/10/2015 12:36 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace

An amazing collection, Till. Thanks for the link.
I wonder why so many of the "roundies" had been necked, what a waste!
I could only watch small clips as the camera work was so dreadful. No sooner as ones attention had been dawn to a set, the camera was off - the guy operating it used it as if it was his eyes, flipping from set to set - very tiring to watch.

Forum Memorial

Posted : 24/10/2015 1:47 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Brian,
We're looking for roundie tubes. Looks like such tubes becoming scarce in the States.

How about this? A mains-battery portable TV from the good old USSR.

Posted : 24/10/2015 2:03 pm
Jac Janssen
(@jac-janssen)
Estimable Member Registered

Hi David,

I have this Russian TV from the '70s:

After a lot of work on it I found out that the CRT has an open heater.... (I always start with inspection of the CRT, just not so in this case - stupid.)
The CRT is 16cm. Type is 16LK1B (16ЛК1Б).
The line output transformer (also making the EHT) is defective as well, but I could probably rewind that.

Jac

Posted : 24/10/2015 2:44 pm
neil1974
(@neil1974)
Honorable Member Registered

Seen that video months ago. might be nice if I could find something like that in the uk :cch .

Cheers
Neil.

Posted : 24/10/2015 3:42 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi David,

Jac

Hello Jac,
Very popular set here in the UK. Marketed as the Rigonda VL100. Best colour for the case? Well it has to be red.
The wholesaler Brown Brothers distributed Rigonda products. Remember the Bolshoi radiogram?

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 24/10/2015 4:25 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Hi David,

I wonder what I did with mine? Must be around somewhere, and you'd be welcome to one for parts. I'll never do anything with them.

Posted : 24/10/2015 4:56 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

There was a VL100 among that collection of sets I bought from an eBay seller in Wales. It seems to have disappeared.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 24/10/2015 5:18 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

There was a VL100 among that collection of sets I bought from an eBay seller in Wales. It seems to have disappeared.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Hi Till,

You gave me one for spares about a year ago when you called at Marion's, it was pretty beaten up though, is that the one ?

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 24/10/2015 5:50 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Marc,
I reckon that's the one.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 24/10/2015 5:59 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

And that cheap little white "Also Brand" economy 5" set, which I still have here - somewhere! It does actually work, but the tuning is oh so critical..

Marion

Posted : 24/10/2015 8:48 pm
colourstar
(@colourstar)

An amazing collection, Till. Thanks for the link.
I wonder why so many of the "roundies" had been necked, what a waste!

Quite a few of the colo(u)r 'roundies' are displaying the 'cataract' problem, which can look a bit like a necked tube. I think the bonding between the implosion guard (whether it's plastic or glass- I'm not sure) and the crt seems to break down. I believe it can be remedied but involves heat- and presumably nerves of steel :ccf

It's one heck of a haul in those warehouses- it would be interesting to know the back story. The large shed appears to be in the midldle of nowhere. How did all those sets get there? Personally I think some of those console cabinets are utterly hideous, although that's no reason not to save them. Load up the Chevy van!

The current shed-loads of sets being ebayed by a retired tv engineer are probably the nearest UK equivalent, so Neil I think you've already been there and done that! :)

Steve

Posted : 25/10/2015 9:35 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The bonded face plates of the US CRT's seem to suffer badly from the ' cataract' problem, anyone know if the Mullard and Mazda UK made CRT's suffered the same fate?

Frank

Frank

Posted : 25/10/2015 11:59 am
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)

I don't know about Mazda and Mullard, but some Brimar twin panel tubes have started to now. I have a KB VC1 which has stated to delaminate.
Not in the same way that the American tubes do. mine has started to go along the top edge, the bonding is still clear, the delaminating just looks like a big air bubble at the top of the screen.
I saw another KB somewhere (e bay I think) that was doing the same.

I have seen a similar problem on old laminated windscreens the Rover P5 coupe rear screen in quite prone to bubbles in the corners, sometimes if water has got in they go cloudy.
The cloudiness on the American tubes seems to be due to the bonding agent going opaque and sort of crystallising, possibly from damp/air ingress. There are a few videos on youtube demonstrating how to repair cataracts with varying degrees of success from perfect repair to boom!
I wouldn't fancy my chances with the Brimar tube!
I wonder if that amount of early sets being found flooded the collectors market for a while? Imagine if a huge stash of early colour sets was discovered here! :bba G6 anyone? Thorn 2000? say £50 each? I have 50 of each.... ttt:
Rich.

Posted : 25/10/2015 7:09 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

My Pye V600A is fitted with a very early twin panel CRT, a Sylvania 23SP4, imported from the USA. The set was made late 1960, in fact the Pye RV111 service manual for the V600A is dated July 1960.
The tube is perfect in every way, good emission and no cataract problems, well so far.
It's most likely that the V600A is the first UK made set to employ the 23" twin panel CRT. Ferguson used the 23SP4 for a time until the Mazda CME2306 and Brimar A59-13W became available.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 25/10/2015 7:41 pm
Share: