7 Users
0 Likes
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi all,
Can anyone ID this TV set please?
I was sent the picture from a colleague at work, he thinks it's from around 1965, but that's it.

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 18/03/2016 9:35 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

I think it is an Ekco T418 with the good old 11U chassis.
Trader service sheet 1644/T254 from 1964.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 18/03/2016 10:34 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Topic starter

Thanks Andrew,
Will pass that on to my friend.
Not sure if he has the set or used to own it or what.

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 18/03/2016 10:41 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

That's exactly what it is, I have the EKCO manufacturers service manual.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 18/03/2016 10:49 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Topic starter

Thanks both,
Have just emailed him the info and asked if he has the set or used to own it.

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 18/03/2016 10:50 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered

My parents bought one of these new, Malc.

Posted : 19/03/2016 2:04 am
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)

I have one on the bench at the moment. I recapped it a couple of years ago, (I resuffed the originals where possible) now the UHF tuner has packed up. and it's not a valve.. :aai
Rich.

Posted : 19/03/2016 8:14 am
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered

Our set never had the uhf tuner fitted. The only problems it had was the rocker type on/off switch failed a couple of times as did the pre-set contrast pot, Malc.

Posted : 19/03/2016 12:21 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Well there's not much in the tuner, you may be able to fix it and the aurora has a high output so if the tuning gets upset a bit it should not matter.
If I recall correctly the mixer in the VHF tuner acts as another IF amp on UHF, may be worth confirming that part is switching OK.
I liked this chassis and the one after with the frame grid EF184 last IF, I think it was, and dual present contrast pots I thought was better still.
Only thing let it down was the abysmal performance of the valve UHF tuner.
Other than that easy to fix reliable sets, had the later version myself.
Frank

Frank

Posted : 19/03/2016 3:51 pm
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)

Its definitely the UHF tuner that's at fault, I tried a transistorised tuner from a KB VC53 and got a good strong signal. All I have done to the original tuner is to try a new pair of valves and check the external resistors. Its a bit of a job to get the tuner out, the front panel and VHF tuner have to be removed first.
The set had seen very few repairs in it's service life, just a few valve replacements and a bodge around the contrast control seemed to be the only work done in the past. However one of the UHF tuner cans was missing so it looks as if the valves had been changed in that more than once!
It looks as if the owner then gave up on UHF as when I got the set the system switch cam had been disabled so as the set stayed on 405 when the turret was switched to UHF.
I may try another pair of valves before I dig any deeper, the ones I used were NOS Mullard but I know these PC86/88 s were a bit troublesome so its possible I could have a dud! :zx:
Rich.

Posted : 19/03/2016 5:11 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

They are NOS those valves so yes they could be faulty. I don't recall them unreliable from new although they had a hard life and I only seemed to get a couple of years out of them before the noise on the screen started to be a problem. We were in a good area for Winter Hill and with a decent aerial on the roof we could easily get 5-6 mv into the tuner, my aerial in the loft an MBM46 pushed out about 20mv into one of these tuners, measured on an RBM signal strength meter. many times that meter saved me hours.

Don't forget the switch on the IF strip was not too reliable, worth checking, perhaps be lucky and no HT on the tuner, well you can hope.
Happy days.

Frank

Frank

Posted : 19/03/2016 6:21 pm
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)

No such luck I'm afraid the Ht is there. Your comments on valve life is interesting.
My mate had a GEC Electra that got through a few sets of tuner valves years back when it was his bedroom set. conversely I have an Invicta 11u that I have owned since the early 70's that is still on the same valves as it came with.
I wonder if some tuners were harder on the valves or relied on them being almost 100% where other tuners were less fussy?
The PC88 and PC86 also strike me as valves that wouldn't take too kindly to being overrun, say in the case where the mains adjustment was 10v too low?
I had a Murphy Acoustic deluxe years ago that ate Pfl200's (they lasted about three months) until I spotted the heaters were a little bit on the bright side. Someone had fitted the wrong boost diode and had replaced a dropper section with one of a lower value than the original, very neatly on the back of the chassis.
Once these had been put right it cured the thirst for PFL200's.
I don't fancy disturbing the tuner in the Invicta to test the valves and I don't think I have another set with a Valve UHF tuner so I'll see if I can get another set of valves to try.

Posted : 19/03/2016 7:47 pm
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)

Our set never had the uhf tuner fitted. Malc.

Hi Malc out of interest did your set have dummy buttons like the Bush/Murphy convertibles? or were the holes blanked off in some other way?
ISTR a big old 23" Ekco I had years back had blanking plugs in the push button holes. I assumed at the time that someone had robbed the tuner.. but maybe not?

Posted : 19/03/2016 7:53 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Small white blanking plugs if I recall correctly not buttons.
Even in the sets that just required a tuner I fitted very few to any make. If it was in the set the customer would have an aerial but if not they usually left it and bought new when the old one was 6 or 7 years old. The sets we sold from 1965 onwards had a tuner fitted from new.

Yes I was very careful with heater current in the TV's I fixed, the power was rarely low so top tap setting and any repairs to droppers done with correct values or a full replacement.

Frank

Frank

Posted : 19/03/2016 9:08 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Topic starter

........... He said he tried to fix it, but ended up striping it and turning it into a bed side cupboard!

What did you just say?!!!!

Marion :aak

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 19/03/2016 11:20 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Oh Flipping heck, Jon.....

I just goofed - I've accidentally edited your post :ccg

Sorry about that - I was trying to "quote" what you'd said :ccg :ccg

I accept full responsibility for fouling up - Would you care to rewrite your post, and I'll delete my error?

Marion

Posted : 20/03/2016 10:47 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Topic starter

Hi Marion,

Don't worry about it.
I had to do a double take when I saw it and then read you next post.

I actually think it's quite funny.

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 21/03/2016 11:53 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Jon,

That's very good of yo to see it that way - Thanks :aad

In my haste to respond with a witty quip, I hit the "Edit" instead of the "Quote" button.. Once I'd hit "Submit" it was too late.... :ccb
The end result was still meant to be the little fellow with his bemused expression, but in a post below - if you see what I mean..... :bba

Well, I feel much better now!

Marion

Posted : 21/03/2016 8:22 pm
Share: