Notifications
Clear all

Mirror lid TV project?

Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Just acquired this radiogram. The reason for buying it was to remove the rare Garrard RC4 record deck and install it in the Pye 838 TV radiogram combo. 

So what do I do with the remains of the radiogram?  It could be restored as it was or how about a mirror lid TV project? The original radio chassis can be retained for the audio output and the space for the record deck utilised for the CR tube.

A good idea, or should I just chop it up?

Till Eulenspiegel.RG001.jpg 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/06/2017 3:10 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

Can't see you chopping it up David, it will be put somewhere in that " Tardis" you have, only to be brought back to life in a few years time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2017 3:13 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)

Till Eulenspiegel said

or should I just chop it up?

Till Eulenspiegel.   

No, it looks too good for that. The cabinet work and speaker area are stylish and it would be a tragic waste.

Future use must surely beckon this wireless gramophone, or now gramless wirelesswink

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2017 3:40 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)

It's got to be a 'project' David, you know you want to. grin_gif

Marc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2017 3:41 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Hi Frank, Hi Marc, Hi Andrew.

It's quite an attractive looking thing and when one considers it's now eighty years old it doesn't deserve the chopping axe.  Also, I paid quite a lot of money for what it is along with cost of fuel to feed the L200. 500mile round trip from Geordieland to Northampton.

Will have to find a TV chassis for.  How about a LCD mirror lid TV?

Till Eulenspiegel.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/06/2017 3:44 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

Looks an ideal candidate to put a Bush TV24 chassis in. I seem to be awash with those darned things at the moment, thanks to donations of set with wormy cabinets. A front-silvered mirror easily obtained from those people down Lunnun way.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2017 3:53 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Well, upstairs above the shop there is two Peto-Scott 12" TV chassis that could be considered although something older would be better.  For AC-DC mains receivers an isolation transformer will have to be fitted.                                        Good to learn that surface silvered mirrors can be made.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/06/2017 4:02 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Noble V-Ratter Rest in Peace

There's an HMV 1804 chassis on its way to you as we write so that could be the vision basis of the mirror lid! Thats AC only with two transformers: HT and EHT.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2017 9:21 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Hi Brian,   With modification the 1804 chassis will be absolutely ideal for the mirror lid TV project. I've a spare Brimar C12B/12MW3A CRT.  This tube will require much more EHT than the 1804 chassis can deliver so an EHT booster will have to be fitted to augment the existing 4KV EHT supply.   EMI service actually made such device for the VT50 and 1803/4 receivers for use with the replacement TA10 and TA15 CRTs.    

Till Eulenspiegel.   

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/06/2017 11:03 am
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Noble V-Ratter Rest in Peace

Do you still want the spare 1804 main mains transformer, Till? I do have a spare and could send that to you this week if I can find a strong enough box. The 1804 chassis is in a double box in which a new central heating boiler came. It seemed strong enough so I hope that it arrives safely! I'll try and do the same tin for the transformer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/06/2017 12:33 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Hi Brian, A spare 1804/VT50 mains transformer might be  a good idea to have either as a servicing replacement or for some future project.   Yes please, but just send it at your convenience. 

I've removed the Garrard RC4 from the MRG radiogram and there is plenty space to accommodate a round 12" CRT.

The cabinet is 30inches high which might not be enough for a mirror view TV but with a little woodwork I can raise that figure to 34" without too much difficulty.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/06/2017 6:58 pm