Notifications
Clear all

Murphy V350 another portable TV set.

Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

In fact work on my V350 started yesterday evening.   I'm afraid the electronic restoration job going to be a bit of an anti-climax. The set was connected up to the variac,  the supply voltage was slowly increased over a considerable time (well actually it was 10 minutes)  until the full mains was present at the set's mains connector.  The result of this cautious procedure is a very bright raster on the screen. The frame linearity is bad so there will be the usual recapping to do.  Later today I will post up more pictures of the set in action.   So it won't be a long essay about the electronic restoration but instead the big story will be the reconstruction of a new cabinet.  Meanwhile the original cabinet continues disintegrate. 

Till Eulenspiegel.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/02/2017 12:34 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)

Looks like easy street for the chassis then David but It's going to interesting to see how you're going to create a new cardboard cabinet. Hope you've got plenty of sellotape tape and sticky back plastic....it'll be like 'Blue Peter' all over again. laugh

Marc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2017 12:41 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Hi Marc,  No cardboard or Sellotape to be used in this reconstruction. This will be one my magnificently over engineered creations, really solid and heavy as you'd expect from someone who lives on Tyneside.  It's those radius corners that's going to be the difficulty. OK, I could just make a box like cabinet but that would be too easy, and I don't do easy.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/02/2017 1:01 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Circuit diagram of the self oscillating line timebase.  It's a lot simpler than the LTB in the V230.  Interesting to note that on the main chassis  there is a spare hole for a B9A valveholder if ever a separate line oscillator valve became necessary. 

Till Eulenspiegel.

V350_0126_4.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/02/2017 3:46 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

This evenings results.  The tuner receives channels 1 and 9 so the set must have originated somewhere within the Crystal Palace reception area.  Frame timebase needs sorting out.

The cabinet continues to disintegrate

Till Eulenspiegel.  

V350_0127_4.jpgV350_0128_3.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/02/2017 11:58 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

That's definitely more lively than mine!

I've been wondering, what exactly is the cabinet made of? Is it fibre board, or something nearer papier-mâché? I could envisage attempting to rebuild it with papier-mâché, but getting a decent uniform flat surface would be difficult, problem being that these cabinets look like they're moulded from whatever material was used, rather that fabricated.

Next option? A work in 'bent plywood' perhaps?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2017 7:47 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Hi Marion, considering the state of the cabinet a replacement is definitely on the agenda.  Bend plywood is a consideration but with the available tools I doubt if a good consistent radius can be achieved. How about ordinary plastic drain pipe?  This material could be cut along it's length to produce an angle of slightly more than 90 degrees, the flat surfaces will be 10mm plywood. The result will be a cabinet slightly wider than the original fiber board or whatever the thin flimsy material was, all that matters is that the internal dimensions are correct.  Car body filler will take care of the minor gaps. The new cabinet can be painted or wood veneered.  The thing is, if I can make one it's a easy enough matter to make two.

Till Eulenspiegel

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/02/2017 9:44 pm