Notifications
Clear all

Murphy V510

slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

Hi All! I got myself a barrel Murphy at last!
I Have been half looking for one of these for some time. I have fond memories of this model as it was one of the first sets I used to scrounge from the local telly shop back in (or around) 73/74.
I would make a weekly pilgrimage with my go-cart and there would usually be a set or two for the taking,
I quickly found that the older sets were usually in some sort of working order and more importantly complete!
Murphys became a favorite and the smaller ones sold well at school as second sets! they were also tough enough to survive falling off the go-cart on the way home!
This one was a genuine "barn find" a friend was buying some stuff from a man who was clearing his barn I wandered over to a pallet and lifted a sack to find the Murphy underneath.
Trying not to sound too interested I enquired if it might be for sale, the answer was no, and a long explination as to why followed.
I said fair enough and wandered back to my mate, feeling a little embarresed for having asked, the guy stayed with the set and then.... "well how much would you give me?"
I replied " thats up to you, what's it worth?"
"£35 £40 ?"
"I am happy with £40.."
"Done!"
The set is in great condition the chassis is spotless with no corrosion, the wood is good and the mask still supple, there is some flaking paint on the mask and a slight patch which looks like a stain but no signs of lopt oil on the back of it.
For now I have got the lid working and given it a clean, but I can't wait to see a picture on it!
It is fairly untouched inside just a couple of dropper repairs, the smoothing cap is missing and there is a trader sheet and some notes about connections to the can inside. So it may have been an abandoned repair?
It really is a neat compact design, I am sure they were bigger when I was 12...
Rich.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 23/09/2012 12:21 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Rich,

Nice find and these sets do give a fantastic picture as I'm sure you know. I'm a recent convert to Murphy and have to say I had such a great time restoring my V410 chassis. I'm saving my V330 to do over the Xmas period, instead of being stuck in front of the box watching drivel, I intend to have my head around the back getting it going. Then settle back and watch some Morecambe & Wise.

Look forward to your journey with the 510.

Chris

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2012 12:41 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Chris,

Does that picture quality also apply to the V350? - I have one waiting in the wings, not yet seen first light although it does have an intact heater chain and good HT..

Silly question, but... How different is the V330 from the V350?

Marion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2012 1:17 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

The V350 is a 14" transportable whereas the V330 is a 17" table model with FM radio. I've no idea on the picture quality but being Murphy you can bet their engineers ensured it was. If you look in my V330 thread you will see it looks a lot different to yours. The V310, V410, V330 & V510 look very similar.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2012 1:28 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

The V350 is a 14" transportable whereas the V330 is a 17" table model with FM radio. I've no idea on the picture quality but being Murphy you can bet their engineers ensured it was. If you look in my V330 thread you will see it looks a lot different to yours. The V310, V410, V330 & V510 look very similar.

Say no more.. I said it was a silly question

Do you have any service data for the 350? I have an ERT service sheet but feel I might need a little bit more..

Marion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2012 1:35 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi 'Marion,
yes I will scan the service data and upload tomorrow, and remember no question is silly

Chris

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2012 2:05 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Hi 'Marion,
yes I will scan the service data and upload tomorrow, and remember no question is silly

Chris

Hi Chris,

That's brilliant... Thank you.

My V350 is just one of several sets awaiting attention and I've had it nigh on a year.. I'd love to see first light on it, and see what it can do..

Marion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2012 2:19 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Marion,

I have uploaded two sets of service data for your V350.

• Radio & Television Servicing[/*3vingrlj]
  • Trader[/*3vingrlj][/list3vingrlj]
  • Rich,

Regarding your V510, I have the Murphy service manual which covers this set. If you would like I will put it on the list of jobs and upload it to the library.

Regards to you both
    Chris

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2012 11:06 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Rich,

I've scanned the Murphy service manual on the off chance you did not have it, so it's in the Technical Library.

Regards
Chris

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2012 11:58 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Hi Chris,

Thanks again for that.. If I recall, we used to have a V410, back in the early 70's, given to us when our Bush TV75 lost its vision output.

I wouldn't mind another (of either) set.

Marion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2012 4:01 pm