Share:
Notifications
Clear all

B&W TV Need a new CRT? Oh to be back in '63!

irob2345
(@irob2345)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

I found this in the February 1963 issue of Radio Television and Hobbies.

Sure Brite Feb 1963

I used to buy tubes from this company (they had moved by then) to fix up old TVs and sell them, while I was at school. Bought my first car (a Thames 100E van) this way. What a piece of junk that was!

I wonder what happened to the plant and equipment from this and many other similar operations? Now that we NEED it!!

Maybe the clue is here - same company, December that year. The price has dropped!

Sure Brite Dec 1963

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/09/2021 9:03 am
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

I remember getting re-gun tubes from Dunelm Tubes at Billy Row, near Crook 2 miles from me. £5 for mono, only £3 if no g/tee. A56-120X £25. £15 with no g/tee or slight seconds. I fitted a A63-120X in my early Rediffusion RT514/25 (BRC 3000) in 1979 and it still produces a good pic today, Malc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2021 10:26 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

We used to use Suffolk Tubes in Purley Way Croydon. You could whip a tube out of a set and run it down to them. If they had the same or equivalent in stock, you came out moments later with a guaranteed regun. If they didn't have it in stock, you could go back in a couple of days and collect the one you took in, regunned, guaranteed and looking like new. Those were the days! They could sort out screen burns as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2021 2:18 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @irob2345

I found this in the February 1963 issue of Radio Television and Hobbies.

Sure Brite Feb 1963

Eight Australian Pounds = Six British Pounds and eight shillings.

(16 UK shillings to the Australian Pound)

Classic TV Theme Tunes

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2021 6:22 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @sideband

We used to use Suffolk Tubes in Purley Way Croydon.

That'd put it right on Philips's doorstep, wouldn't it?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2021 9:16 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Yes it would but Philips didn't use Suffolk! That was when I was at my first job in Thornton Heath just up the road from Philips. One of my jobs was to drive the Morris Minor van down to Suffolk, unload half a dozen tubes at Suffolk and go back a couple of days later and collect them. Did a lot of business with them between 1970 and 1973.

Philips only used reguns for colour TV's as a cheaper option for the customer. I think they were Mullard Colourex rebuilt at Blackburn and shipped down to Croydon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2021 7:59 pm