B&W TV New Monochrome CRT Television

3 Posts
3 Users
9 Likes
mfd70
(@mfd70)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

I've noticed Ali Express have a new 5" Black and White CRT TV for sale, it is in kit form, it has an analogue tuner but also AV inputs, in fact it looks like a unit I saw on sale a few years back which was part of a reversing camera kit for motor-caravans, RVs etc.

The circuit is very simple with a single chip  CD5151 IC doing most of the work, a discrete series regulator and I expect a UHF/VHF tuner. If it were a bit cheaper I'd get one to build for novelty value.

Another interesting use for this might be to connect it to a DTT box to make an off air Monochrome television, which would enable people who don't currently have a TV license (growing) to legally watch live TV with a £49 license if they were so inclined.

The part number is 1782606924.

Posted : 23/07/2022 5:42 pm
helloekco, freya, helloekco and 3 people reacted
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

Sounds like the kit shown in this YouTube video. Unfortunately I wont deal with Aliexpress again, out of three transactions only one went without problems. The last one I received the wrong value capacitors, I ordered 4 x 680uF 400v and received 3 x 120uF 400v volts. They wanted them returning at my cost for compensation.

Here's the video.

John.

Posted : 23/07/2022 6:34 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @mfd70

Another interesting use for this might be to connect it to a DTT box to make an off air Monochrome television, which would enable people who don't currently have a TV license (growing) to legally watch live TV with a £49 license if they were so inclined.

Or even 'licence' 😉 

The bold bit is important though: if the DTT box can record then you need a colour licence.

Posted : 23/07/2022 6:39 pm
Sundog, Sundog and Sundog reacted
Share: