111 Posts
11 Users
117 Likes
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Thanks Till ? 

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 17/12/2019 5:09 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

A little while back I bought a Hedghog standards converter and have finally got round to trying it with this set in particular. The reason being was that I wanted to see if the fly-back lines that I previously had visible from using the Aurora converter were visible from the Hedghog too. The short answer is no, they are not (like the Domino converter). There is nothing wrong with the Aurora, it is just a peculiarity with only this set.

The Aurora is a fantastic converter as I'm sure you know, and so is the Hedghog. I am very pleased with the Hedghog and I find the channel change far easier than the Aurora's fiddly control switch which irritatingly needs a small screwdriver each time..

IMG 5649 50
IMG 5651 50
IMG 5650 50
IMG 5653 50

Posted : 04/05/2020 6:29 pm
Nuvistor, helloekco, freya and 6 people reacted
peterscott
(@peterscott)
Honorable Member Registered

@pye625

Superb results from the set and the converter!

Peter

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

Posted : 06/05/2020 7:30 am
PYE625, PYE625 and PYE625 reacted
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @pye625

A little while back I bought a Hedghog standards converter

I started to buy the bits for a Hedghog II and it has stalled, not least due to my financial situation (as in 'Income? What's that?'). Yes, I know that as one half of 'Dinosaur' it would seem counter-intuitive for me to own one but in this instance the advantage of a Hedghog II is to be able to operate it in Band III.

Posted : 06/05/2020 9:39 am
freya
(@freya)
Prominent Member Registered

@cathovisor

I don't mind finishing it for you if you would like, currently doing five a week so an extra one wouldn't be noticed.

Stephen

Posted : 11/05/2020 6:09 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

@freya

That's a very kind offer which I may take you up on in the future ?

Posted : 11/05/2020 6:15 pm
freya, freya and freya reacted
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

This set has not been used since May as far as I can remember, so it perhaps is about time for a run. Not only that, I want to repair a scratch to one of the doors so have removed it for better access.

I am pleased to report that it is still working without any problem, so it does look like my repair to the scanning coil assembly is holding up.....

IMG 5842 50

Posted : 11/12/2020 10:55 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

I can't get over the fact I have had the set for just over a year now.... it seems like only this November since I aquired it. Where does the time go?

Posted : 11/12/2020 11:17 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@pye625

Yes, where did this year go? 
The picture on the set is excellent, just shows you don’t need big screens or even colour to get enjoyment out of good programs. The medium just fades into the background with decent content.

A discussion in the coffee lounge about Ofcoms vision of PBS and Cathovisors true comments of how ITV have strayed from its original PBS commitment. 

Frank

Posted : 11/12/2020 11:26 pm
PYE625, PYE625 and PYE625 reacted
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Posted by: @pye625

I can't get over the fact I have had the set for just over a year now.... it seems like only this November since I aquired it. Where does the time go?

And once again I repeat the same thing at yet another year later.

I gave this old timer an airing and some use today and am still pleased with the results as I was nearly two years ago. Good old solid PYE... oops sorry, PAM. As good as the day I switched it off last December.

Posted : 06/11/2021 6:59 pm
Lloyd, Lloyd and Lloyd reacted
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

You may remember that this set exhibited a minor fault with the frame scan where the top few lines of picture information were visible lower down the raster, similar to fly-back lines. Using a different standards converter and with careful adjustment of the frame hold control, it was possible to mask the problem. A number of checks were previously made and nothing really noticeable was wrong with the voltages or waveforms in the frame stage.

Today, I revisited the problem. It seemed to me to be fruitless to go over all the waveforms and voltages again, so I adopted a new approach. First of all was to try different valves in the frame stage. Swapping the ECC82 resulted in a slight varying degree of the fault. So, I decided to check all resistor values local to this, the frame oscillator. No values were widely out of spec enough to make any real difference, with the exception of just one resistor. This was the shared cathode resistor to both sections of the ECC82, R101 a 4K7. It measured in the region of 6K and shunting a value across this to bring the resistance nearer 4K7 proved it to be quite a critical value. The lines vanished !

So, out came the old and in went a new 4K7. It would seem that this resistor has to be reasonably correct enough for proper bias of the valve. In some circuits, you might otherwise get away with it.

IMG 6108 50
IMG 6109 50
IMG 6111 50
IMG 6113 50

Posted : 07/11/2021 2:59 pm
Nuvistor, Lloyd, Red_to_Black and 6 people reacted
Page 6 / 6
Share: