PAMela Puddle duck... the watery tale of woe

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
colourstar
(@colourstar)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Following on from the end of the 'Big Bertha' thread, I've now taken delivery of Bertha's sister-set, a Pam variant of the Pye 11U chassis. I need another large set like a hole in the head, but this was a (long distance) rescue mission. The things we do in the name of our hobby....

Now this particular set had been sitting as an ornament in the London owner's retro-themed room, however a change of use to a children's playroom meant an eviction order for the contents. During the course of redecoration, the Pam was placed outside overnight under a plastic sheet. This was just a month or so ago and unfortunately it was the very night that one of those named storms hit the country. Of course the plastic sheet was away with the wind and the poor Pam had a good rain lashing.

It survived the ordeal with no signs of distress other than the top of the cabinet which is ruined. The varnish must have been cracked already as water penetrated and has 'blown' the chipboard at either end. The actual veneer iis intact though and it may be possible to remove it with a bit of patience and make a new cabinet top to bond it to. It's a real shame though as before this, the set was in excellent condition.

Electronically, things look OK under the thick layer of dust, although someone must have smacked the two hold controls as they are lying in bits in the bottom of the cabinet.

This might be a summer project as I'm busy with other stuff at the moment, but I'm pleased to have been able to save a rare set. I didn't have an example of the Pye 11U in my collection and I've never owned a Pam set before.

With that water damage I guess I'm going to have to pool my resources.....! Sorry.

Steve

Pam1.jpgPam2.jpgPam3.jpgPam4.jpgPam5.jpgPam6.jpgPam7.jpgPam8.jpgPam9.jpg

Posted : 17/03/2017 3:21 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The set is the later version with stabilised EHT, EF184 vision IF amp and separate preset contrast controls. If it's salvageable it will be a good performer.

I used to keep those broken controls on the van.

Pity about the cabinet.

Frank

Frank

Posted : 17/03/2017 3:34 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Steve,

I'd be tempted to replace the whole of the cabinet top, get rid of that chipboard stuff. Much better to use plywood.  I've always had a soft spot for all of these 1960s Pye group console sets.  Mine is the motor tune 405 only model. Cabinet is painted black.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 17/03/2017 4:41 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it - stronger, faster, better than before...... And it shouldn't cost $6'000'000.grin_gif

Posted : 17/03/2017 5:51 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Katie_Bush said
Gentlemen, we can rebuild it - stronger, faster, better than before...... And it shouldn't cost $6000'000.grin_gif  

We can indeed, and I am pleased to report that my Big Bertha has calmed down a bit knowing her sister has been saved.

The line hold controls look like they will snap back into place, lucky you still have the bits.

I spy a mug of tea in your 5th picture down, you deserve it Steve welld_gif

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 17/03/2017 6:16 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Steve,

Your PAM set dates from 1964 and is the 5144U.

You will also be pleased to know I have the PAM service manual for this set, packed with pages of detail alignment, PCB photos with plan views, LOPT data and the all important schematic. I'll get it scanned and upload in due course and let you know in this thread when it is available in the library.

All receivers in the range will be stamped with a reference number and the subtle differences are described within the manual.

For now some teasers......

pam1.jpgpam2.jpgpam3.jpgpam4.jpg

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 17/03/2017 7:18 pm
colourstar
(@colourstar)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hlello folks and thanks for the encouraging replies; they raised a much-needed titter or two, although I'm wondering why Frank kept broken controls on his van.... !Herr Eulenspiegell is of course no stranger to all kinds of dilapidated tv cabinets, having worked miracles on some of them, so I shall be consulting him for further advice when the time comes. If the Mullard crt is still a goody this should indeed be a terrific set, with good sound to match courtesy of a remarkably generously sized loudspeaker. I'll do some homework on the 11U, re-reading Andrew's thread on Bertha and any servicing articles in Practical TV.I think the plan is to get the set up and running, then assuming the results warrant the effort, think about sorting the cabinet.

Steve

Edit: That's wonderful Chris, thank you indeed. Your service library is of legendary proportions!

Posted : 17/03/2017 7:24 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

colourstar said
 with good sound to match courtesy of a remarkably generously sized loudspeaker.

Which can be improved some more by the removal of the cathode bypass electrolytic on the PCL84 sound output valve, thus introducing some negative feedback in it's output stage.   

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 17/03/2017 7:34 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

The PAM manufacturers service manual for the 5141, 5142 & 5144U, now resides in the TV section of the data library. I look forward to following this thread and hope the repair goes well for you.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 17/03/2017 8:20 pm
stuie319
(@stuie319)
Eminent Member Registered

What a terrific rescue Steve!

Unfortunate about the cabinet top, but a smashing set. You must have a aquired a tardis to house all these lumps!
I'll look forward to reading about the restoration of this 11U - you'll certainly have your stock of capacitors depleted quickly 😉 

Well done and best of luck with it

Stu

Posted : 18/03/2017 9:59 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Thanks Chris, downloaded the Pam manual last night, bit of a nostalgia trip when I get to look at it.

Frank

Posted : 18/03/2017 11:00 am
Share: