Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Philips 110 degree line output transformers 60's 70's  

irob2345
(@irob2345)
New V-Ratter Registered

I have a friend who is trying to source a Philips LOPT from the early 60s.

I have one in a chassis but I'd rather keep it (the chassis) if I could. Besides I don't know if it's any good.

In Australia we saw two versions of this transformer, Both had the beige epoxy moulded EHT winding, the earlier one, part no. NT3101 had a phenolic tag board. The later part no. NT3102 had a beige moulded plastic tag board, was fully white epoxy sealed but was otherwise similar, with a different voltage aux winding.

Does any of this sound familiar? It's almost certain Philips had the same transformers internationally but gave them different part numbers which is why I can't find them anywhere.

Plessey also second-sourced the NT3102 and the Plessey part was used in a local version of the BRC1500 chassis made by AWA-Thorn (universally hated by service techs, it was unreliable and way out of date when it was introduced).

Anyway, does anyone recognise either of these parts? Know what they were called in the UK? Better still, have one that's for sale! Or know someone who does?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2020 11:50 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

I don't suppose you'd have a picture of the transformer you're after? - A picture speaks a thousand words.

I have a few LOPTs of various types (mostly 'modern' diode-split for colour sets) that I'm unlikely to use, but you never know what might be lurking in the darkness.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2020 7:22 pm
irob2345
(@irob2345)
New V-Ratter Registered

This is the NT3101 - in this case it's been adapted to an older 90 degree chassis replacing a Philips 90 degree LOPT. Hence the 6CM5 and 6AL3 connections on the wrong side of the transformer.

NT3101 in 79 2 reduced

The very early NT3101 did not have the white potted EHT winding, it was a more conventional looking layer wound affair.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2020 9:02 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

@irob2345

Okay, now we know what we're looking for, I'll have a dig at the weekend and see what I've got, but if I'm honest, I have my doubts. However, let's not put the mockers on it at this stage.

If all else fails, "Till Eulenspiegel" (forum member) is the grand master at re-engineering LOP circuits to other transformers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2020 9:34 pm
irob2345
(@irob2345)
New V-Ratter Registered

Thanks Katie. Yes I do LOPT substitute re-engineering as well. Necessary these days!

Really all I need is a transformer to suit a common Philips practice valve circuit as follows:

• To work with a parallel connected yoke winding
  • A tap for stabilised operation (i.e. using a VDR)
  • A centre-tapped separate aux winding supplying anything from 50 to 250 volts 0-Pk

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/07/2020 12:55 am