Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Philips 11TG190AT T-Vette

Page 1 / 2

Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Having seen a few portable threads recently I thought I would give my recent acquisition a try. I bought this from Ebay and instead of the usual very long drives, Exeter and Cardif to collect my other sets this PhilipsT-Vette was located less than 5 miles away. It's a set I've always had a hankering to own ever since we went on a camping holiday in the very early 70's complete with a new Hitachi TV75 to Pitlochry. After what seemed like a long time of tuning up and down the band at waving the loop aerial around the penny dropped that the transmitter high on a hill overlooking the small town unfortunately at that time didn't radiate any UHF signals. Later walking around the camp site confirmed this as the only sets I saw were T-Vettes, and Sony 9-90s which were also popular at the time. I preferred the Philips styling though, It just looks right.

The set itself is quite clean but unfortunately the cream front panel and rear cover have discoloured to a sort of shade of light brown. It also came with, all in excellent condition, user manual, CRT registration card, circuit diagram and lastly a little brown envelope marked "Contents 1-Plug" which is the 12v DC connector.

Inspecting the interior shows a few worrying things, some blown print replaced with wire links in the line stage, also the system switch contacts to which the links are fitted appear to have been overheating and some work having been done to Can A which houses the 3rd VIF amp and video detector. Some of the screw mouldings which secure the front have cracked but that's not major. It does have some of the infamous Tin Whisker AF11x transistors also.

Before I do anything else I will apply power with the CRT base disconnected, a common occurrence on these is for excess supply destroying the CRT heater which is connected directly across its output

John.

rsz_tvette-3.jpgrsz_1tvette1-1.jpgrsz_1oh-oh-1.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/03/2017 8:09 pm
Topic Tags
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi John,

I saw that come up and wondered who got it, well done another nice set for your collection.

If you need service data other than the circuit you have, I can assist. I have ERT, Trader and probably most importantly, the extensive Philips workshop manual.

If you need me to scan just ask and it will be done, look forward to following your exploits with the set.

tvette.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/03/2017 8:38 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

Hi Chris, thanks for the offer. I'm using the LLJ  article from TV mag at the moment which was already in the library.

There was also a rare Stella version in Sheffield a couple of weeks ago which didn't have any bids for a while, I was tempted but I let it go.

I've applied power and the HT is just a bit lower than normal but all is not well in the line stage, definitely some arcing going on so I've switched off to so as not to risk damage to the AU103 line output transistor. Access to the component side of main board doesn't look great.

John.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/03/2017 9:22 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Ah yes the LLJ article I'd forgotten that was in there.

Yes I had one of these and I agree, access is a challenge.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/03/2017 9:29 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

I really like these too, I also saw the Stella, and would have loved to give it house-room! Mine has gone the same colour as yours, and the feet have rotted off. I hope your CRT is a good one! Mine died unfortunately. It was dead when I got it, but I did manage to weld the heater by blasting it with high voltage from a cold-cathode fluorescent tube driver. It lasted for 10 years after that, but gave up on me again last year. I'll have to give it another shot, but I don't hold out much hope for it. Shame I can't send it for a re-gun!

Regards,

Lloyd.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2017 1:46 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Jayceebee said
AU103 line output transistor.

John.

Not sure the AU103 is a good replacement for the AU101. The AU110 was the official replacement. Need to check the differences.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2017 1:43 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Rich,

The T-Vette never had an AU101 fitted, the AU103 is the factory fitted Line Output transistor these sets were shipped with.

transistor1.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2017 2:01 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Hmmm! I think it must be early ones then. I know we were fitting AU110 in the 70's while they were still in service life. Mind you it's over 40 years since I saw inside one of these.....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2017 7:53 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

Well there's good and bad news, the bad news is that a new system switch is probably required if I want to retain dual standard operation. There is some pretty bad damage to tag 41 which is in the scan coil path, I did try switch cleaner but gave no improvement. Due to it's location between the lopt and the fragile line output transistor there is no way to get in with a fibre pencil to try and clean it up, it's so tight in there I can't even get the camera in for decent photo of it. The only way to attempt this would be to remove the entire system switch assembly and with something as delicate as it is I'm not sure it's a good idea. Just to make sure that there were no issues with the regulator circuit I isolated tag 32 of the system switch which effectively disconnected the line output stage and also left the CRT base disconnected, all was stable and well here and after 10 mins running time reconnecting the CRT base produced heaters.

Now the good news.test-card.jpg

Permanently shorting out tags 40, 41 and reconnecting 32 produced this, the CRT has absolutely superb emission. Audio is there also so the AF115s appear to be ok for now but there is a slight amount of buzz, not vision on sound but pickup from the frame stage as it changes in frequency as you adjust the frame hold.

Sorry to hear about your CRT giving up Lloyd and I must admit I was apprehensive about this one knowing the reputation of these sets but having only cost me £20 it wouldn't have been a disaster, as it happens I'm extremely happy so far. As with yours when I lifted the set from where it had been resting there was a puddle of goo from the feet. It seems whatever ingredients Philips used for the feet was also used in their belts and pinch rollers.

Rich the line output is definitely an AU103 and it's original, almost impossible to see due to the heatsink cover. The set appears to been made in week 44 of 1967, the circuit diagram that came with the set states that the frame output should be an AD140 but as in the LLJ article it is an AD149.

John

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/03/2017 10:54 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

The 405 picture is a cracker, even if a system switch is not a possibility it is still a worthwhile repair you have performed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2017 11:09 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)

Jayceebee said
Well there's good and bad news, the bad news is that a new system switch is probably required if I want to retain dual standard operation. There is some pretty bad damage to tag 41 which is in the scan coil path, I did try switch cleaner but gave no improvement.

I guess an option could be to obtain another set in the future as a donor for spares, I do see them pop up now and then on the bay.

PS, that's a blinking good picture !!  welld_gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2017 11:11 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

Hi John,

I think I have a scrap chassis somewhere for a T-Vette.

If I find it and the switch is OK it's yours. (might take a while mind you)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2017 11:29 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)

Hi John,

Well there's nothing to complain at with the CRT, what a belter !

Marc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2017 12:31 am
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

Thanks Jon and appreciate that, it goes without saying all costs would be met. I had thought about using a relay but it would be difficult to implement as it would be switching certainly in one standard during powerup with volts already applied to the AU103, don't know how it would take to that. Tag 32 which feeds HT to the LOPT is break before make so this doesn't occur.

Thanks for the comments on the picture quality lads, I have to say I'm pretty chuffed with it. Only just acquired the Aurora also so I'm hoping to make some progress with my other Philips, a 1756U. Lack of a proper work area is a big handicap though.

John.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/03/2017 12:34 am
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

That certainly is a cracking picture, way better than I ever achieved with mine!

I was going to suggest a relay, but you have already thought of that! Hope you find a new system switch.

Regards,

Lloyd.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2017 12:46 am
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered

I'm curious to know what burnt out those tracks on the PCB and it seems to be linked to the faulty system switch. Must have been one hell of a current surge?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2017 5:17 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Jayceebee said

Rich the line output is definitely an AU103 and it's original, almost impossible to see due to the heatsink cover. The set appears to been made in week 44 of 1967, the circuit diagram that came with the set states that the frame output should be an AD140 but as in the LLJ article it is an AD149.

John

I remember now....I spent so long at Philips (nearly 40 years). The 11TG190's I came across in the early days were pre-production samples and even in 1973 when I started with Philips some of these very early pre-production sets were still in use around the building (and some employees had them at home). These very early sets had AU101's fitted and of course these are the one's I remember replacing with AU110. Presumably production sets were fitted with AU103 which were more reliable. I'm not in contact with a lot of the engineers I used to work with, one of whom was involved with the development of the 190A at the Philips factory in Croydon.

Very annoyingly, back in the early 80's I had one of these early sets that I modified for video input purely so that I could run a ZX81, bypassing the RF input for better definition. I gave it away with the ZX81 when I sold it......glum

My ex-manager has one and only lives a couple of miles away. I wonder if he still wants it......!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2017 1:10 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

ntscuser said
I'm curious to know what burnt out those tracks on the PCB and it seems to be linked to the faulty system switch. Must have been one hell of a current surge?

I suspect the set has been operated with the system switch half cocked, the supply to the AU103 should have been disconnected by the break before make contacts 31,2,3 but this obviously didn't happen. The damaged contacts are 40,1,2 so effectively pins 3 & 6 of the LOPT were shorted together, obviously several amps flowing so may be the AU103 is not so fragile after all.

I've found a relay which I think may be suitable to restore dual standard operation so I might try and graft it in as a temporary measure.

John.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/03/2017 6:02 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

There is an 11TG190A upstairs in the storeroom. When time avails itself I will take a look at it.   Other transistor portable TVs requiring attention is the Pye TT1 which needs a 10.8 volt NiCad battery pack and a Perdio Portorama.

There is a Philco "Safari" needing attention as well.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2017 10:20 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

Hi Till I would be interested to see how your set performs, I've a few issues going on some of which I'm not sure are actual faults or economies/limitations of the design, I have never played with one of these so have no experience to draw upon. This afternoon I managed to get a little time with it in between a little gardening and entertaining my 2 year old grandson. I have decided against the relay experiment at the risk doing some unnecessary damage seeing as there is the possibility of a replacement switch on the horizon.

I decided to hard wire the affected contacts to 625 and see how it performs. The pictures on normal programmes are pretty good but the test card clearly shows some S bending of the verticals, more pronounced of the RHS oddly. The audio if you recall on 405 has a slight buzz which seems to be pickup from the frame stage, on 625 there is noticeable intercarrier buzz and very careful tuning is required to reduce it but to me still excessive. Detector balance preset R2021 has little effect so possibly detector diodes and the small electrolytics hopefully will improve things.

Anyway, some pictures below for you all to asses, a couple from one of my favourite Ealing studios films.

John.

625_1.jpg625_2.jpg625_3.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/04/2017 9:08 pm
Page 1 / 2