Philips 17TG100U no crt!

23 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
Haerial
(@haerial)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter

My winter project arrived today. A philips 17TG100U. I purchased the set on E-bay and it was sent out via courier. (you have all probably guessed the next bit). Yes, when i opened the package it was smashed to pieces.
I have looked at the set. Although it needs alot of work, I would like to restore it.
Now for the joke - I am wondering if anyone may have a CRT for sale for this model. :aak
The CRT type is an AW43-88.

Here's hoping

Richard.

Posted : 09/12/2013 10:55 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Oh dear... :ccb

I have some rocking horse doo-doo, if that's any good to you?

That is a crying shame, and I can only count my blessings when I consider my earliest entrants into my collection, delivered via Parcel Force, and other couriers, and none broken.

I think sellers can help to avoid this, with a little care and forethought.. One seller I bought from devised an ingenious backboard with cardboard buffers to protect the CRT neck.. If only others cared as much. :aaf

With any luck at all, you may just be lucky enough to find a CRT, or an irretrievably degraded set to take one out of.. Keep your fingers crossed. :aad

Marion

Posted : 09/12/2013 11:55 pm
Duke Nukem
(@duke-nukem)
Reputable Member Registered

Don't forget to negotiate some sort of refund from the seller if you think it wasn't packaged appropriately.

If it were simply wrapped in a piece of cardboard as your photo suggests I'm amazed the cabinet survived!

TTFN,
Jon

Posted : 10/12/2013 9:05 am
BluePilot
(@bluepilot)

I think sellers can help to avoid this, with a little care and forethought..

I'm not sure that it's always possible to pack things so that they don't get broken. It's more down to the parcel handling methods used. When I lived in Germany I bought many old radios without any problem. Now I live in France and they all arrive smashed. There is never any sign of any damage on the outside of the parcel. The problem is that the cabinets just weren't built to stand the stresses produced by heavy objects like transformers that occur when the package is thrown about. Obviously the French throw things around more than the Germans. In the meantime I only buy large AC radios if I can collect them personally.

"The golden age is always yesterday", Asa Briggs.

Posted : 10/12/2013 9:14 am
Panrock
(@panrock)

Another 'thing' are those piano key sets with large expansive glass dials attached to the chassis. Even slight flexure of the chassis on its mounts during transit can crack the dial glass as it stresses against the cabinet. This can happen despite good packing. In my book, vintage radios should never be sent by post or carrier - period - and I always collect work personally (at a cost) or have it delivered.

Back to the matter in hand. I have two spare AW43-88's here, Richard, (both believed good - they usually are - but I cannot connect their B8H bases to my tester to be certain). You're welcome to one of them for nowt, though you'd have to travel up to Evesham to collect it.

Thrown in - a free demonstration of my own 17TG100U! These sets give brilliant pictures. This last went on the blink only a couple of days ago - oh no, thought I, the LOPT has gone yet again! It turned out the HT fuse had simply expired from 'fatigue'.

Steve

Posted : 10/12/2013 10:37 am
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

The post office usually smash anything that looks like it has been sent by an individual.
Put it in a box that is printed with the same name as is printed on the parcel tape and it will arrive looking like new.

Posted : 10/12/2013 1:53 pm
AidanLunn
(@aidanlunn)
Honorable Member Registered

I also find it useful to remind buyers how to package up such delicate items. *Plenty* of bubble wrap is usually in order for things like this.

Posted : 10/12/2013 6:52 pm
mark pirate
(@mark-pirate)

That is a real shame, these are a very good set with a truly excellent picture, I hope you manage to find a good tube for it.
TV's are very hard to package properly, but I would be after a full or partial refund from the seller.
There is no point trying to get compensation from the courier, as they do not insure TV's :aai

Posted : 10/12/2013 7:17 pm
Haerial
(@haerial)
Topic starter

Hi all,

Thankyou all for your kind remarks about the 17tg100u. I agree about the postal service. I usually hold my breath while waiting for sets when they are sent via courier. I have made contact with the E-bay seller. He seems very agreable. when i sent him the photo's he was not happy. He told me that it was sent out bubble wrapped and with foam packaging. He has now taken it up with the courier company. I did receive up dates from the courier company and was a bit concerned that on the day it was supposed to arrive, the courier company had taken it back to the depot. Then it didnt move for 3 days. Then it was delivered in different wrapping to what the seller sent it out in! unfortunatly i was not in to receive it. But the courier was very happy to bring it inside and put down. Then i presume - ran like heck!
Regards

Richard.

Posted : 10/12/2013 8:09 pm
Haerial
(@haerial)
Topic starter

Another 'thing' are those piano key sets with large expansive glass dials attached to the chassis. Even slight flexure of the chassis on its mounts during transit can crack the dial glass as it stresses against the cabinet. This can happen despite good packing. In my book, vintage radios should never be sent by post or carrier - period - and I always collect work personally (at a cost) or have it delivered.

Back to the matter in hand. I have two spare AW43-88's here, Richard, (both believed good - they usually are - but I cannot connect their B8H bases to my tester to be certain). You're welcome to one of them for nowt, though you'd have to travel up to Evesham to collect it.

Thrown in - a free demonstration of my own 17TG100U! These sets give brilliant pictures. This last went on the blink only a couple of days ago - oh no, thought I, the LOPT has gone yet again! It turned out the HT fuse had simply expired from 'fatigue'.

Steve

Hi Steve,

What a star you are! I would like to take you up on your very kind offer please.
I am only over near High Wycombe. So, Evesham is only about an hour away. If you would be kind enough to pm me your address, that would be great. It will be nice to meet someone from the group and see some of your work.

Kind regards
one really happy Richard!
:thumb

Posted : 10/12/2013 8:18 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

This morning two parcels arrived at 8am, unannounced! Not Ordered, not discussed!

One had a large Bakelite Philips radio sitting almost loose in it, not a scratch or crack!

Posted : 10/12/2013 8:52 pm
Haerial
(@haerial)
Topic starter

This morning two parcels arrived at 8am, unannounced! Not Ordered, not discussed!

One had a large Bakelite Philips radio sitting almost loose in it, not a scratch or crack!

A nice suprise early xmas present maybe?
:aan

Posted : 10/12/2013 10:22 pm
Panrock
(@panrock)

Kind regards
one really happy Richard!
:thumb

PM sent. Incidentally, I also have encountered a 17TG100U in the condition of Richard's. It belonged to my grandmother and in about 1968 I dropped it down the stairs. The cabinet and tube were both smashed. Not unreasonably, she expected me to repair it. I stuck the cabinet back together and got a replacement (regunned) tube from Lawson Tubes.

Steve

Posted : 10/12/2013 10:50 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

Loads of tight balls of newspaper, or torn up expanded polyfoam etc. Bubble wrap is only good as an antiscratch layer, or to make something tight inside an inner box.

Posted : 11/12/2013 12:27 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

I think sellers can help to avoid this, with a little care and forethought..

I'm not sure that it's always possible to pack things so that they don't get broken. It's more down to the parcel handling methods used.

Ah well, I did say "...can help to avoid this...". I didn't say the could cure the problem.

In my case, the seller made a first class job in a very well thought out packaging excercise with plenty to buffer the set in case of careless handling, and a cleverly devised crumple zone to protect the CRT neck.

Nothing can be guaranteed to survive the post, unless it's a brick made of solid steel. :aaj

Plus, if couriers' workers are determined to destroy a parcel, then you have no chance, no matter what...

Marion

Posted : 11/12/2013 12:49 am
mark pirate
(@mark-pirate)

I have only one TV that was sent by post, A Sony 9-90UB. This was properly packed in it's original box, then put in a larger box stuffed with newspaper and foam, it arrived perfectly intact :bba
I would not risk a courier with a larger set though, I restrict myself to pick up only sets that are within 50 miles or so...

Posted : 11/12/2013 1:12 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

... This was properly packed in it's original box ...

The original box makes all trhe difference because it would have been designed by a packaging expert to convey that specific product perhaps half way round the world without damage!

Certainly the 19" PYE Export model I bought once for £20 brand new was packed an identical fashion to that which I would expect to see on a set intended for UK sale.

Here is my memory of standard packing for a typical slim line set in a rectangular cabinet.

An important detail is that the set was a perfect fit - no room to move about in transit!

As well as a strong corrugated cardboard outer box, more cleverly folded corrugated cardboard packing inside the box held the set firmly in place whilst creating a double inner wall.

This would usually suffice for most sets but especially heavy ones might have additional box sections to separate the inner and outer walls.

Of course, we see this idea all the time these days but the material used is expanded polystyrene along the edges, often with considerably less strength in the sides.

It should, with a little thought and effort, be possible to construct a strong rigid container for any set out of corrugated board but, if you've never seen how it was done up until now, you wouldn't know how to go about it ...

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 11/12/2013 2:22 pm
Niall
(@niall)

Years ago I bought a s/h scope from Stewarts of Reading for the place I was working at the time.
It was packed by sealing it in a plastic bag, placing it in a large heavy gauge cardboard box and injecting expanding foam into the remaining space. I don't remember but assume it was spaced off the bottom of the box somehow.
I thought at the time that this was a clever way of making a transit box customised to the particular item.

Posted : 11/12/2013 6:31 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

Here's a variant of the corrugated cardboard approach which does away for the need to be able to fold thick cardboard accurately.

It just uses pieces of the board glued together. If you can cut board with a craft knife to a controlled depth so that you don't cut through the very bottom layer, it is possible to make up these blocks zig-zag fashion.

Odd pieces of card can be used too when enough large sheets are not available.

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 11/12/2013 7:02 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

I used to work at a place where we had to pack our own jobs when completed.
Using the foam gun was a pretty easy skill to pick up.
You put a plastic sheet in the bottom of the box and squirt a second or so of foam in and fold the plastic sheet over and add the item. The item with practice will lift off the bottom of the box nicely.
Once the foam has stopped expanding add another plastic sheet on top and a little more foam and fold over and close the box. Once it has stopped expanding a quick check is needed to make sure you have added enough and then it is tape gun time.

If you make a mistake the foam will lift the item out of the box so that you have to pull the bottom block and start over. The top one will push the box open and will also have to be re-done.

Posted : 11/12/2013 7:50 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: