Baird T5; Waterloo Station 1936

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

I was watching a Youtube video which was just rattling through historical photos (with accompanying background music) from the 20th century, when up popped this TV. Certainly not one I've seen before, though others may have. Anyone know who and what they are watching?

pwar

From the control layout it looks like a Baird T5 but the grill looks different to the T5 I have on this page (Scroll towards the bottom of the page). The one above has multiple slats below the controls, compared to the one on my page, which has two bandings top and bottom.

Edit: Ah-ha, after a bit of searching my confusion is solved, upon closer inspection it's the version Baird T5 David is restoring here.

mag
bt5

So did the T5 come in two guises? It would certainly appear so, subtle changes, as evidenced on the sets above and below. Were there any technical differences?

anothert5

I have to say of the two versions, personally I prefer the latter over the former. The double dark banding on the top and bottom screams the 'Deco' period and gives it a nicer style in my opinion.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 04/03/2020 3:27 pm
peterscott
(@peterscott)
Honorable Member Registered

Presumably the earlier version pictured with Sydney Moseley on the cover of TV&SWW had 240 and 405 line capability but perhaps the two bar grill only had 405 line.

The 2 bar is the T5C. See: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=152005&page=13

Peter

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

Posted : 04/03/2020 9:06 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

My Baird T23 has the same cabinet style of later T5 models That is, two bars across the loudspeaker aperture and four painted black bands around the front and sides of the cabinet. T23 has only three controls on the upper panel. No tuning control because it is a TRF receiver.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 04/03/2020 9:54 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @crustytv

Anyone know who and what they are watching?

Looks like Leslie Mitchell to me. As to what they're watching - August 1936 suggests programming intended for Radiolympia.

Posted : 04/03/2020 10:48 pm
Share: