PYE 32 f

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi guys, during my search for a PYE 31f I came across this little gem of a set , never seen this model before ,I didn't even know it was ever made I've yet to see any pictures of one elsewhere .
It's a 16 inch transportable dual standard with what was known as a integrated tuner with the transistorised I/f strip strapped to the back of the tuner.
The condition is not to bad overall but unfortunately the crt has an o/c heater , I thought the chances of finding one to fit this set would be very slim but with some negotiation with a very good friend ,Chris ( crusty TV ) he came up with a crt that will do the job ( Thanks Chris ) . I'm hoping to get this fitted during the week so I'll keep you posted with the progress .

Posted : 16/11/2014 10:18 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Wow that is super rare, and how extraordinary it ended up in the hands of an avid PYE collector, what were the chances of that. I think this one was meant to be and that a tube was sitting waiting for this too, equally fortuitous.

Like you, I was only aware of the 31F, no mention of a 32F anywhere. Have you determined what the differences are? The 31F was a dual standard hybrid too, so I'm curious as to the variances in this.

Look forward to your repair report as you bring it back to life.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 16/11/2014 11:28 pm
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)
Topic starter

Hi Chris , as far as I can tell the only difference is the cabinet electronically it's identical. It will be interesting to see if anything electrically made the crt heater go o/c or if it's just a duff crt. By the look of the py800 it looks as if this valve he's had an internal short this could be the problem .

Cheers
Chris .

Posted : 17/11/2014 8:29 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

Long time since I've seen anything like that! Does it use the same IF strip as the Pye 40F? Now those I did do a fair few of during the early 70's.

Posted : 17/11/2014 9:54 am
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)
Topic starter

Yes ! I believe this to be identical to the 40f too the only difference I can see is that the 40f was a 19inch version

Cheers
Chris .

Posted : 17/11/2014 11:08 am
Hurty
(@hurty)
Estimable Member Registered

Hi, I don't know what state the o/c heater is in your tube but if it looks good (you can see it has connections to the crt pins) you can sometimes "weld" these back together. You will need a valve line output stage tv (used to use a Thorn 1400/1500 but any will do) an EHT lead and an chassis return lead. Connect one side of the duff tubes heater to the loan sets chassis and connect the EHT lead to the loan sets PL504 top cap. With the loan set running dab the other heater pin with the EHT lead (has 5000V pulses on it) If successful you will see a momentary arc (heater of tube) and then the heater light up as normal (loan set EHT dies momentarily) job done, it only takes a momentary dab. Nothing else to be connected to the faulty tube. I know this sounds completely mad it used to be about 70/80% successful with me. It was in Television Magazine and I thought it mad then but what have you got to lose? nothing. Be mindful of the pulses on the EHT lead, it would work well for me, did a lot of Thorn 1590/1's tubes this way.
Hurty

Posted : 17/11/2014 5:02 pm
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)
Topic starter

Hi Hurty, Thanks for that bit of advice I will give it a try as you quite rightly point out I've nothing to loose. I'll let you know how I get on .

Cheers

Chris

Posted : 18/11/2014 8:33 pm
Share: